Draw field lines for both magnetic fields

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of force in relation to the magnetic field and conductor. The participant notes the direction of the arrows in opposite directions causing attraction to the right and pushing apart on the left. They question if anything is missing from their understanding.
A-linav
Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 11.10.12 PM.png

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not sure if I've done this right because it seems too little for 6 marks. I have arrows coming from the north to the south end for the magnet's magnetic field. I have arrows going counter clockwise around the conductor. The force should be flowing to the right because that is where the arrows are in opposite direction, hence "attract" and pull towards the right? Am I missing anything?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
A-linav said:
to the right because that is where the arrows are in opposite direction, hence "attract"
and likewise, where they are in the same direction, on the left, they push apart.
A-linav said:
Am I missing anything?
Sounds fine to me.

1. What are magnetic field lines?

Magnetic field lines are imaginary lines that represent the direction and strength of a magnetic field. They are used to visualize the magnetic field around a magnet or a current-carrying wire.

2. How do you draw magnetic field lines?

To draw magnetic field lines, you need to follow a few rules:

• Start at the north pole of a magnet and extend outwards.
  • Field lines never cross each other.
  • Field lines always form closed loops.
  • Field lines are closer together where the magnetic field is stronger.

3. What is the purpose of drawing magnetic field lines?

Drawing magnetic field lines helps us understand the properties and behavior of the magnetic field. It also allows us to predict the direction and strength of the magnetic field at different points.

4. How are magnetic field lines related to magnetic force?

Magnetic field lines are related to magnetic force in the sense that the direction of the force acting on a charged particle moving within a magnetic field is perpendicular to the field lines. The strength of the force is also dependent on the strength of the magnetic field at that point.

5. Can you draw field lines for non-uniform magnetic fields?

Yes, field lines can also be drawn for non-uniform magnetic fields. In this case, the field lines will be closer together in areas where the magnetic field is stronger and further apart in areas where the field is weaker. The direction of the field lines will also change accordingly.