Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drawbacks of Rutherford's conclusions

1. Mar 24, 2016 #1
    Rutherford proposed that electrons moved in orbits around the atom.It had a drawback.It was said that "objects which move in a circular orbit will experience acceleration despite it's constant speed" Why is it like that ? Is there any reason for such an acceleration ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

The velocity vector is continuously changing direction. That corresponds to acceleration (you can see it in terms of the components of the velocity vector, which are continuously changing).

4. Mar 24, 2016 #3
    Correct me if I am wrong.Velocity with continuous change in direction leads to acceleration.

5. Mar 24, 2016 #4

DrClaude

I don't like the use of "leads". It is not a causal relationship. I would use "corresponds to". You need to apply a force to change the direction, hence there is an acceleration.

6. Mar 24, 2016 #5
    Just one more silly question.Planets do move around the sun in an elliptical orbit just as how electron moves around an atom.But planets do not show any electromagnetic radiation as they are not charged just as how an electron does if it was to move in an orbit.The question is why aren't planets charged ?

7. Mar 24, 2016 #6

Borek

I doubt they aren't. But the charges are way too small for being important (it is charge/mass ratio that matters).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted