Photoelectric Effect questions to help my understanding

In summary: The threshold photon energy is where photo emission 'just' starts. Many photons of that energy will just be absorbed as they meet more tightly bound electrons.
Jeff97
Homework Statement:: This isn't homework, I didn't know exactly where to post my question so I thought it would be safest to post here.
Relevant Equations:: N/a

My questions are as follows:

1. When the voltage is increased to a certain value the current between the two plates(emitter plate) is reduced to zero. Can someone explain to me why increasing the voltage can stop the current?

2. How did Bohr modify the Rutherford model to explain the stability of hydrogen and its spectrum.?

I was thinking it was because... The motion of the electrons in the Rutherfords model was unstable because, according to classical mechanics and electromagnetic theory, any charged particle moving on a curved path emits electromagnetic radiation; thus, the electrons would lose energy and spiral into the nucleus.

So to remedy the stability problem, Bohr modified the Rutherford model by requiring that the electrons move in orbits of fixed size and energy. The energy of an electron depends on the size of the orbit and is lower for smaller orbits. Radiation can occur only when the electron jumps from one orbit to another. The atom will be completely stable in the state with the smallest orbit, since there is no orbit of lower energy into which the electron can jump.?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jeff97 said:
This isn't homework, I didn't know exactly where to post my question so I thought it would be safest to post here.
Thank you for defaulting to the Homework Help forums when you are not sure. But since these are general questions about the photoelectric effect, your thread has been moved to the technical forums.

I'm guessing that @ZapperZ will be able to help you with some intuition on this subject... :smile:

Likes Jeff97
Jeff97 said:
Homework Statement:: This isn't homework, I didn't know exactly where to post my question so I thought it would be safest to post here.
Relevant Equations:: N/a

My questions are as follows:

1. When the voltage is increased to a certain value the current between the two plates(emitter plate) is reduced to zero. Can someone explain to me why increasing the voltage can stop the current?

This is a reverse-bias voltage, meaning the opposite plate has a lower potential than the photocathode (where the electrons came out of). As you increase the reverse bias, more and more electrons are being repelled away until at some point, even the most energetic electrons cannot reach that plate. So you get no current.

Zz.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and Jeff97
ZapperZ said:
This is a reverse-bias voltage, meaning the opposite plate has a lower potential than the photocathode (where the electrons came out of).
To make that possibly more understandable, if the the 'collector' plate is sufficiently negative potential then the KE of the photoelectrons will not be sufficient to reach it; they will be repelled. That stopping potential tells you the threshold energy for photoemission.

It doesn't affect the actual production of the photoelectrons so forget about the atom / photon interaction - electrons will always be produced. An isolated photocathode will build up its own positive charge till electrons form a cloud outside it ('space charge'), each one falling back onto the surface as new electrons are kicked off. Net charge is zero until you provide an external path with another electrode with a positive potential or a negative potential, of insufficient magnitude to repel photoelectrons.

The threshold photon energy is where photo emission 'just' starts. Many photons of that energy will just be absorbed as they meet more tightly bound electrons. That used to confuse me when I first came across this topic so it may not be obvious to people.

Likes Jeff97

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light. This effect was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887 and was later explained by Albert Einstein in 1905.

2. How does the photoelectric effect work?

When light of a certain frequency (or energy) is shone on a material, it transfers its energy to the electrons in the material. If the energy of the light is greater than the binding energy of the electrons, they will be ejected from the material and can be detected as an electrical current.

3. What is the significance of the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is significant because it provided evidence for the particle nature of light and helped to develop the concept of photons. It also led to the development of important technologies such as solar cells and photoelectric sensors.

4. What factors affect the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is affected by the intensity and frequency of the incident light, as well as the properties of the material, such as its work function and the number of free electrons. The angle of incidence and the surface area of the material can also have an impact.

5. How is the photoelectric effect used in modern technology?

The photoelectric effect is used in a variety of modern technologies, such as solar cells, photodiodes, and photoelectric sensors. It is also used in devices such as digital cameras and barcode scanners. Additionally, the principles of the photoelectric effect are applied in experiments and research in fields such as quantum mechanics and spectroscopy.