1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drawing distribution curves for orbitals

1. Apr 7, 2015 #1
    Hi, can anyone please guide me how to draw the distribution curves for radial wave function of an orbital? Please explain stepwise and in easy way.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you be more specific ? Is this about hydrogen-like potentials or something else ?
    And "distribution curves" ?

4. Apr 7, 2015 #3
    In quantum mechanics, my textbook has this question:
    "Draw the distribution curves for radial wave function of 1s,2s,3s orbitals."
    Distribution curve is "The probability density of finding an electron in polar coordinates."

5. Apr 8, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good. sounds like hydrogen-like potentials. What are the wavefunctons ? What have you got in your toolbox to deal with this exercise ? And how far did you get in your attempt at solution ?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

6. Apr 8, 2015 #5
    Well, there are no values given in the question. I'm just a beginner in quantum mechanics and am not good at graph plotting but I'll try with your guidance:)

The graph is between radius;the distance of orbital from the nucleus and 4πr2 (psi)2, I think the probability density? Now how to plot the graph?

7. Apr 8, 2015 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the chapter where your textbook has this question, did they solve the Schroedinger equation by separating variables (first time and position, later also ##r,\ theta, \ \phi## ) and come up with wave functions ? Then the core of this exercise is not how to handle pencil and paper, but how to interpret the wave function, in particular when it's been separated into radial and angular parts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted