Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drawing Resistors/Springs circuits?

1. Jan 13, 2010 #1
    Drawing Resistors/Springs circuits??

I am looking for a simple (and free) way to draw resistors and springs and simple block diagrams with labels so that I can insert them into my LaTeX documents.

Anyone know of any solutions? I am currently looking at the Excel drawing menu to see of there is something usable there. Then I can just screenshot it.

It doesn't have to be elegant. But I would really like to have a way of labeling the diagrams parts (i.e. resistance, spring constent, etc.).

Thanks,
    Casey

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2010 #2
    Re: Drawing Resistors/Springs circuits??

Xfig.

4. Jan 13, 2010 #3

I tried WinFig to no avail (had major install problems). I also tried TinyCAD which worked OK. But with TinyCAD you can't rotate a resistance to a 45 deg angle. Only increments of 90 degrees. I would like to be able to rotate the resistance freely or at least in 45 degree increments.

I am really trying to draw out Mass-spring-damper Free body diagrams, but resistances are generally the same symbol as a spring. However a simple damper symbol would be nice, but probably asking for too much.

any other ideas?

EDIT: This is actually exactly what I want to draw (and the likeness).

image001.gif

5. Jan 14, 2010 #4

How about Jfig? It's Xfig but written in Java, so should work on Windows without any problems.

6. Jan 14, 2010 #5

I'll check it out, but one if the things I noticed about winfig was that in order to register it they wanted $$. It was a little confusing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook