Drawing the resonance contributors for the following compound

In summary, the conversation discusses drawing resonance contributors for a given structure and the request for confirmation and guidance on finding more structures. The response provides feedback on the current structures and suggests moving double bonds and lone pairs to create at least 4 resonance structures.
fema98

Homework Statement

Draw all the resonance contributors for the following strucutre
[/B]
b3gar7m
https://imgur.com/ZCoYEz7

Homework Equations

(none)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

t

I have two current resonance structures drawn I am just not sure if there are any more, can someone please confirm, if there are/ guide me on how to get them if there are anymore?

Current Structures https://imgur.com/jmiMfHh
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Please resize the images and please attach them to the post. Wouldn't hurt if they were easier to read too, try to take pictures under a lamp.

You should have no negative charges on the carbons, first of all, nor should there be a positive charge on O. Second, I always count the double bonds as well as the lone pairs.There should be at least 4 resonance structures, because there are 4 double bonds. As it is, I can only see 4 resonance structures. Keep moving them around from your first resonance structure (where O is a single bond and has a negative charge).

(edited because I gave the answer)

What is the purpose of drawing resonance contributors for a compound?

Drawing resonance contributors helps to visualize and understand the electron distribution in a molecule. It also allows us to predict the reactivity and stability of the compound.

How do I determine the major and minor resonance contributors?

The major resonance contributor is the one that contributes the most to the overall stability of the compound. It is usually the one with the most complete octet and the least formal charges. The minor resonance contributors are those with less stability and may have more formal charges or incomplete octets.

What are the rules for drawing resonance contributors?

There are a few rules to follow when drawing resonance contributors. First, all atoms must have a complete octet (except for hydrogen, which can have 2 electrons). Second, the overall charge of the molecule should stay the same. Third, only pi bonds and lone pairs can be moved to create resonance structures.

Can a molecule have an infinite number of resonance contributors?

No, a molecule can only have a finite number of resonance contributors. This is because there are limitations to how many electrons can be moved and how many double bonds can be formed. Additionally, not all resonance structures are equally stable, so only the most significant ones are considered.

Do all molecules have resonance contributors?

No, not all molecules have resonance contributors. Only molecules with delocalized electrons, such as those with pi bonds or lone pairs, can have resonance structures. Molecules with only single bonds or with all atoms having a complete octet do not have resonance contributors.