Drinking glasses break suddenly

• B
  • Thread starter Kuze
  • Start date
http://imgur.com/a/MnNCr And the break part from glass 2 is what i have found earlier.
http://imgur.com/a/MnNCr
sorry because i don't know how to insert image

Baluncore
Science Advisor
Applying Occam's scientific razor; I suspect that one glass broke spontaneously due to residual stress in the glass. The crack would have propagated at the speed of sound in glass, which could have provided a directional sound wave that might wake you. Your ability to wake quickly would be dependent on your sleep state at that time. The breaking glass may have thrown one part to bounce off the other glass and cracked that other glass, but not immediately dislodged the break, which you only discovered later.

There are a few people who call me when they have riddles like that presented in this thread. When analysed scientifically the reported observations do not seem to make sense. The problem comes in working out which observations were factual and which were imagined. Humans are good at filling in unknowns by wishful interpolation between sparse facts. I know that those who call me may be psychotic and when their world doesn't add up and gets too confusing, they call me. I see it as my job to work out if their observations are real, or if they need to get back onto their anti-psychotic medication. Normal paranoia is very common in humans, it keeps the species alive in a hostile environment. The extension of paranoia to psychosis is also much more common than is reported.

Occam's Razor always permits a rational scientific explanation. But that explanation may have complexities resulting from incorrect observations due to sleep-state, false memory, or a psychotic component, in which case this thread might represent the first valuable step in a diagnosis. It is also possible that the observer is a sophisticated troll, or a skilled fiction writer. Anything is possible.

To be certain, more information is needed. But it is no longer available for the reported event.
Hopefully a scientific explanation is the answer.

hmm, Firstly, I don't think my ability to wake quickly would be dependent on my sleep state, cause it was the same for the rest of my senes, no matter how long i've slept or how deep the sleep is, as long as I can hear or feel something, I will wake up no matter what. And due to the position of those glasses I don't think any part of those glasses was thrown due to other glass break, and at that time the glass which had lied down doesn't break anymore than the 2 half, and the other glass broke part was lie on the other side. And when I woke up, I did turn on the light to look around then go back to sleep, cause it is really scary when something break near you but you don't know what happened. If it was something normal like temperature or pressure I still can understand but the temperature of my room and the water left inside the glass were the same since now is about middle of summer so that can't be temperature or pressure.

Baluncore
Science Advisor
That seems to leave you with false memory, psychosis, troll or fiction writer. Any other suggestions?
In general, I live in Australia and I have never experience those things before.
Maybe consider: Drop Bears https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_bear

I don't think my ability to wake quickly would be dependent on my sleep state, cause it was the same for the rest of my senes, no matter how long i've slept or how deep the sleep is, as long as I can hear or feel something, I will wake up no matter what.
It must be quite difficult to observe yourself not waking if you sleep through a sound that does not wake you.

As I've said before, I'm living in the city and i think everyone must lock their door before go to sleep so I don't think that Drop Bear has any relation in this case, But I think that the slightest noise i can wake up from is footstep. And the most suspective things are how those glass break and its position. As the picture I've posted before, I put it next to each other, 1 empty, 1 half room temperature tape water. If there is somethings that can break one of those glass, it should break the whole 2 glasses because they were next to each other. The only thing I can think about is some type of wave or sound that are in the lower or higher the human ear frequency so that I can't hear them and if that true, I would conclue that somethings can make those noise which is enough to break glass is wandering around my house. That is my idea.

And the temperature isn't drop so dramatically, It was only about 1-5 degree different since i went to sleep.And the room temperature was never exceed 37 C degree. And those glasses were never put on the place that was directly hit by sunlight.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Some everyday drinking glasses are made of highly stressed moulded glass (like the toughened glass you get for windows. A relatively small scratch or impact can cause them to shatter into thousands of slightly (safely) rounded off shards. It's not that uncommon for one to spontaneously shatter after a lifetime of use and associated stresses. But for two to go off - that's weird, particularly under the circs you describe.

That is why i come here and ask, If these glasses were shattered into thousand shards I still can understand but this time I only got 4 piece of glasses from 2 glasses.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2018 Award
I doubt you'll find a satisfactory answer. There's just no way for anyone to know enough of the details since we weren't there and you yourself were asleep at the time.

I think that i've said this before but if you need any information just ask, i will answer as much as i can. So if you want any detail just ask me.

I haven't seen any person ask about the detail and my self is not a profession so i don't know what i need to say and what not, if you ever have somethings you need to know in order to solve it then just ask.

Baluncore
Science Advisor
The only thing I can think about is some type of wave or sound that are in the lower or higher the human ear frequency so that I can't hear them and if that true, I would conclue that somethings can make those noise which is enough to break glass is wandering around my house.
The most significant characteristic of your “wave” hypothesis is that the influence is from a “technology” that is powerful, but remains just beyond the level of your detection or understanding. A parallel idea is the “wind farm syndrome”, believed by some to be caused by infra-sound from wind turbine blades.

The regular behaviour you described of having three glasses of water by your bed, was interrupted by the breakage of two glasses, one of which was empty, but on the same night, in a closed room. Your determination to find a simple and rational scientific answer may be explained by you taking the breakage almost as a personal assault, a violation of your space. I can understand how frustrating it must be to have no acceptable rational explanation, but you must consider that the event has only been reported once and therefore may be beyond diagnosis or resolution for the time being. You should repeat the experiment by placing the glasses in a similar situation every night. You should not worry about it unless the glasses break again.

You reported placing the glasses close to each other. How can you be so certain that the random breakage of one could not have contacted and triggered the other to crack and be discovered later?

Hmm, But I really don't think that putting 2 more glasses there would be a good idea, cause maybe i'm lucky this time so it doesn't shoot those piece of glass to me when i sleep, I can wake up fast but to evade the flying piece of glass is the whole thing else, and I don't think I have anymore of those type of glass, At the present, i'm putting my glasses somewhere else than the next to window space, and it doesn't happen anymore, so I don't know that I would try to buy a couple of the same type glasses and test while watching it for the whole night cause safety should be consider first right? or putting a couple of random glasses in my house and test them out. And the temperature at my place has changed drastically, from about 35 to 21 so I think that I should consider that too. The missing piece here is the condition of those glasses before they "were" broken.

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You could do some experiments. You could ask a friend to spend a night on their own in your apartment with the same glasses and you could spend a night in their apartment. See if either of you get the same effect. You could video your room every night and see if you get shattering glasses. Try different glasses with different contents. The sky's the limit.

Got it, But unfortunately that i might have to do it alone, I will buy a set of glasses when i have free time and setup some camera at night. I think I will do the experiment in the next friday cause I can try to observe it in the whole night and use camera in the following night.

If you found something that might help, Please reply so that i can try out. And the detail will be given if they were asked.

I would suspect the stressed glass solution before any other. I know that glass has to be properly tempered by a separate heating and cooling process after it's formed. Your two glasses probably came from a batch that was improperly tempered, or which accidentally may never had gotten tempered at all.

maybe it was the reason but according to how long i've bought it I think that isn't the case here. Cause I bought it year ago, use it with hot water, cold water, and in all room temperature, so I think it should be something else. Cause some time the temperature change from 38 C degree to 11 C Degree but those glasses still okay.

RonL
Gold Member
maybe it was the reason but according to how long i've bought it I think that isn't the case here. Cause I bought it year ago, use it with hot water, cold water, and in all room temperature, so I think it should be something else. Cause some time the temperature change from 38 C degree to 11 C Degree but those glasses still okay.
Along with what zooby said, maybe they needed just the slightest nudge by some force, :rolleyes: check to see if any meteorites were recorded at that time around your location. Just how loud would a small sonic boom be ? and would there be an air disturbance that might cause the final breakage ?
Very unlikely, but possible.......o0) :smile:

http://www.meteorites.com.au/odds&ends/sounds.html

berkeman
Mentor
This thread is done.