1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Driven un-damped harmonic motion

1. Jan 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle of mass 'm' is subject to a spring force, '-kx', and also a driving force, Fd*cos(wdt). But there is no damping force. Find the particular solution for x(t) by guessing x(t) = A*cos(wdt) + B*sin(wdt). If you write this in the form C*cos(wdt - [tex]\phi[/tex]), where C > 0, what are C and [tex]\phi[/tex]? Be careful about the phase (there are two cases to consider).

2. Relevant equations

basic inhomogeneous second-order equation solving.

3. The attempt at a solution

So I got the equation F = Fd*cos(wdt) - k*x = m*x'', and put it in the form x'' + w2*x = F*cos(wdt), where w2[tex]\equiv[/tex] k/m, and F [tex]\equiv[/tex] Fd/m. I took the first and second derivative of the equation they told us to use for our guess, and subbed them into x'' + w2*x = F*cos(wdt). I ended up with A(w2 - wd2)*cos(wdt) + B(w2 - wd2)*sin(wdt) = F*cos(wdt). I therefore deduced that F = A(w2 - wd2). Therefore the particular solution would be xp(t) = A(w2 - wd2)*cos(wdt). Is there anyway that this can somehow simplify for the form they want us to put it in, C*cos(wdt - [tex]\phi[/tex]), or did I do something wrong?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You know F and have to express A and B in terms of F, wd and w.

ehild

4. Feb 1, 2010 #3
    ok, so then I get x(t) = [tex]\frac{F}{w^2-wd^2}[/tex]*cos(wd2*t) for the particular solution. I still can't figure out how this can take the form that is asked for.

5. Feb 1, 2010 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is [tex]x(t) = \frac{F}{w^2-wd^2}*\cos{(w_d*t)}[/tex]

instead and has the desired form if w>wd.
    [tex]C = {\frac{F}{|w^2-wd^2|}, \Phi =0[/tex]

In the opposite case

[tex]x(t) =- \frac{F}{|w^2-wd^2|}*\cos{(w_d*t)}[/tex]

you have to include a phase constant of pi:

[tex]C = {\frac{F}{|w^2-wd^2|}, \Phi =\pi[/tex]

[tex]x(t) =\frac{F}{|w^2-wd^2|}*\cos{(w_d*t+\pi)}[/tex]

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook