Driven un-damped harmonic motion

In summary: I get x(t) = \frac{F}{|w^2-wd^2|}*\cos{(w_d*t+\pi)} for the particular solution. I still can't figure out how this can take the form that is asked for.It is x(t) = \frac{F}{|w^2-wd^2|}*\cos{(w_d*t+\pi)} instead and has the desired form if w>wd. C = {\frac{F}{|w^2-wd^2|}, \Phi =0
KaiserBrandon

Homework Statement

A particle of mass 'm' is subject to a spring force, '-kx', and also a driving force, Fd*cos(wdt). But there is no damping force. Find the particular solution for x(t) by guessing x(t) = A*cos(wdt) + B*sin(wdt). If you write this in the form C*cos(wdt - [tex]\phi[/tex]), where C > 0, what are C and [tex]\phi[/tex]? Be careful about the phase (there are two cases to consider).

Homework Equations

basic inhomogeneous second-order equation solving.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I got the equation F = Fd*cos(wdt) - k*x = m*x'', and put it in the form x'' + w2*x = F*cos(wdt), where w2[tex]\equiv[/tex] k/m, and F [tex]\equiv[/tex] Fd/m. I took the first and second derivative of the equation they told us to use for our guess, and subbed them into x'' + w2*x = F*cos(wdt). I ended up with A(w2 - wd2)*cos(wdt) + B(w2 - wd2)*sin(wdt) = F*cos(wdt). I therefore deduced that F = A(w2 - wd2). Therefore the particular solution would be xp(t) = A(w2 - wd2)*cos(wdt). Is there anyway that this can somehow simplify for the form they want us to put it in, C*cos(wdt - [tex]\phi[/tex]), or did I do something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know F and have to express A and B in terms of F, wd and w.

ehild

ok, so then I get x(t) = [tex]\frac{F}{w^2-wd^2}[/tex]*cos(wd2*t) for the particular solution. I still can't figure out how this can take the form that is asked for.

KaiserBrandon said:
ok, so then I get x(t) = [tex]\frac{F}{w^2-wd^2}[/tex]*cos(wd2*t) for the particular solution. I still can't figure out how this can take the form that is asked for.

It is [tex]x(t) = \frac{F}{w^2-wd^2}*\cos{(w_d*t)}[/tex]

instead and has the desired form if w>wd.
[tex]C = {\frac{F}{|w^2-wd^2|}, \Phi =0[/tex]

In the opposite case

[tex]x(t) =- \frac{F}{|w^2-wd^2|}*\cos{(w_d*t)}[/tex]

you have to include a phase constant of pi:

[tex]C = {\frac{F}{|w^2-wd^2|}, \Phi =\pi[/tex]

[tex]x(t) =\frac{F}{|w^2-wd^2|}*\cos{(w_d*t+\pi)}[/tex]

ehild

1. What is driven un-damped harmonic motion?

Driven un-damped harmonic motion is a type of oscillatory motion in which a system is subjected to an external force or driving force, and there is no resistive force or damping present. This results in the system oscillating at a constant amplitude and frequency.

2. What causes driven un-damped harmonic motion?

Driven un-damped harmonic motion is caused by an external force being applied to a system that is capable of oscillating. This external force can be a periodic force, such as a vibrating motor, or a constant force, such as gravity.

3. What is the equation for driven un-damped harmonic motion?

The equation for driven un-damped harmonic motion is x(t) = A*cos(ωt + φ), where x is the position of the system at time t, A is the amplitude of the oscillation, ω is the angular frequency of the oscillation, and φ is the phase angle. This equation describes the sinusoidal motion of the system.

4. How does the driving force affect driven un-damped harmonic motion?

The driving force affects driven un-damped harmonic motion by determining the amplitude and frequency of the oscillation. A larger driving force will result in a larger amplitude, while a higher frequency of the driving force will result in a higher frequency of the oscillation.

5. What is the resonance phenomenon in driven un-damped harmonic motion?

The resonance phenomenon in driven un-damped harmonic motion occurs when the frequency of the driving force matches the natural frequency of the system. This results in a dramatic increase in the amplitude of the oscillation, and can potentially cause damage to the system if the amplitude becomes too large.