Kinematics Homework Help (2D motion)-Stopping over time

In summary: This is because the car travels 18m/s for 0.5s before the driver reacts, so it has already covered 9m. Then the driver applies the brakes and it takes 0.5s for the car to come to a stop, so it will travel (18m/s)/2 = 9m during that time. Therefore, the total distance traveled before stopping is 9m + 9m + 13.5m = 31.5m. This means that the distance between the car and deer when it comes to a stop is 41m - 31.5m = 9.5m. As for the second question, the maximum speed
ithrowboxes

Homework Statement

You're driving down the highway late one night at 18m/s when a deer steps onto the road 41m in front of you. Your reaction time before stepping on the brakes is 0.5s and the maximum deceleration of your car is 12 m/s/s

Homework Equations

1) How much distance is between you and the deer when you come to a stop?
2) What is the maximum speed you could have and still not hit the deer?

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I doing this right? She gives us the answer of 19m for the 1st question and 25m/s for the 2nd question. But I am coming up with a different answer for the first question.

First I figured the distance between the car and deer to be 36m, after you take into account the 0.5s reaction time. Then I started to calculate distance it takes to stop.

The equation I used was vf2 = vo2+2*a*d

I plugged in the variables to get 0m2/s2 = 324m2/s2 + (-24m2/s2)*d ... I solve for d to get 13.5m, which is the distance traveled. Take 36m - 13.5m to get 22.5m from the deer, not 19m. I have not attempted the 2nd question yet because I thought I may be doing something incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
ithrowboxes said:
[
First I figured the distance between the car and deer to be 36m, after you take into account the 0.5s reaction time. Then I started to calculate distance it takes to stop.

That should be 32.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is 2D motion?

2D motion refers to the movement of an object in two dimensions, typically described using x and y coordinates on a graph.

3. How do you calculate stopping time?

Stopping time can be calculated by dividing the initial velocity by the acceleration due to the braking force.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction.

5. How does friction affect stopping time?

Friction can increase the stopping time of an object by creating a force that opposes the motion of the object, making it take longer to come to a complete stop.