Dropped some Water in my Laptop. What to do?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bacle2
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Laptop Water
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
10
Hi, all:

I dropped some warm water yesterday; around 1.5 ounces in the keyboard of my laptop,
an HP G72: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02623152.pdf . I'm not knowledgeable-enough to experiment when it involves opening-up the computer to inspect for motherboard damage, which is what I think happened.

I used a napkin to dry it out right away, but the computer is not working right; some keys
in the keyboard are typing the incorrect letter and some are not producing any input at all. What's the best thing to do? Please note that I will not be able to answer right away; I borrowed a laptop
and I must return it in a few hours. Any suggestions, please?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I dropped my phone in the toilet once and it dried and worked. I suspect the laptop is more vulnerable. It might be a lost cause if after it completely dries it doesn't work.
 
Greg Bernhardt said:
I dropped my phone in the toilet once and it dried and worked. I suspect the laptop is more vulnerable. It might be a lost cause if after it completely dries it doesn't work.

Try that with sunglasses that flush down the toilet and block it all up. Toilet had to be removed to dig the damn things out. No damage to the sunglasses - they just became that much more of an expensive brand.
 
Thanks, RobPhy, all; Re RobPhy's list, I think I can handle most steps, except I'm worried about the issue of static electricityanyone know if putting the computer on top of the AC would help?
 
open it up, dry it out really well, put it back together. pray a little.