1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dropping a Ball on a Frictionless Plane

1. Nov 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ball is dropped from 10m at a speed of 0m/s. Ground is a frictionless plane (0, 0, 0) with a normal of (0, 0, 1). Ground absorbs 20% of incoming velocity. Find position of ball after 20 seconds.

2. Relevant equations

If the ball hits a frictionless plane would it even bounce, or would it hit take the 20% velocity reduction and go for remaining seconds.

3. The attempt at a solution

So after ball hitting ground I am calculating it having a velocity of 7.70m/s, after taking 10 seonds to hit ground and then taking the 20% reduction. This is assuming it doesnt bounce and is going to roll at the 7.70m/s for the remaining seconds.

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2009 #2
    how is it going to roll if it is frictionless?

4. Nov 10, 2009 #3

If it was frictionless, wouldn't it roll better, it would have no friction acting upon it to slow it down. right? or am I misunderstanding the of a frictionless?

5. Nov 10, 2009 #4
    If it is frictionlss there is no force that has a torque.So it cannot roll.I think so

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook