1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dropping objects air resistance

1. Aug 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A creature of mass [itex]m[/itex] and bottom surface area of [itex]A[/itex] is dropped from a height [itex]h[/itex] towards the ground. The creature dies if a force of [itex]F_K[/itex] or greater acts on it. What is the value range of acceleration due to gravity, [itex]g[/itex], for such creature to survive the fall?

2. Relevant equations

Surely the problem requires air resistance since mass and surface area are mentioned. I think this can be modelled as [itex]F_D=-k \cdot v[/itex] unless anyone has any better ideas?

3. The attempt at a solution

The question is what else to do - we'll need a differential equation, then to solve it for [itex]g[/itex] in terms of [itex]F_K[/itex], [itex]h[/itex], [itex]m[/itex] and [itex]A[/itex] (probably work out the terminal velocity first and then relate it to [itex]F_K[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex])? I hope we can assume that height [itex]h[/itex] is sufficient that terminal velocity will be reached. If not, we might have to use something more fundamental.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Depends on the softness of the ground. Use the impulse formula. F*Δt = Δp and Δt =√(2s/g). But you need to know s, the distance over which the fall was cushioned, i.e. the softness of the ground.

The presence of A in the problem statement does suggest that air resistance was to be considered. Could be a red herring. I would ignore it or get an explanation from the instructor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted