1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dry Ice.

1. Aug 19, 2009 #1
    Does anyone know why you can see the smoke coming from dry ice? Is it actually CO2? It does not make sense to me, why could I see CO2 evaporating, but I cannot see it normally? Is it the moisture in the air that I can see reacting with the cold CO2?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2009 #2
    What you are seeing is the sublimation point where the solid co2 is converting directly to gas. The smoke as you describe really is nothing more then a dense area of CO2 gas (due to is still low temperature) which quickly expands and dissipates which makes it appear to disappear.

4. Aug 19, 2009 #3

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I've never heard of gaseous CO2 being visible anywhere atmospheric pressure, so I severely doubt this. It's far more likely that when you're seeing is water droplets condensed out of the surrounding air due to the low temperature.

5. Aug 19, 2009 #4
    Good point, and certainly reasonable, though I have seen the same phenomenon in a dry nitrogen / Co2 atmosphere set at normal atmosphere pressure.... maybe there was still some h20 in the system? Anyway good luck with your discoveries.

6. Aug 19, 2009 #5
    It could be that the temperature drop of the air is causing the relative humidity of the air to reach 100%.

7. Aug 19, 2009 #6

Danger

Gold Member

I agree that what you see is condensed atmospheric water. CO2 is invisible. When you use dry ice to make 'smoke', such as for a party, you put it into a tub of water.

8. Aug 19, 2009 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The smoke is condensing water vapor - small snowflakes or droplets of water. Capture it on an object and it gets wet.

9. Aug 19, 2009 #8
    A bit like the condensation on the outside of my glass of cold beer.Cheers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook