I Can someone please debunk this claim that CO2 does not trap heat?

Summary
An article claims that CO2 does not trap heat, based on experiment in the context of filler gas for double glazed windows. It sounds misleading, but I don't know how to explain why.
Hi everybody

I follow climate denier pages and every now and then come across a claim that doesn't seem to have been debunked yet. One such claim is made here:

<link to uacceptable source deleted>

The gist of the article is that scientists experimented with using different gases in double glazed windows and found that windows filled with CO2 did not trap heat better than windows filled with air.

I'm guessing the reason is that the thin layer of CO2 will not re-emit much heat back into a house, and CO2's thermal conductivity might not make it an ideal gas to use between window panes. However, I don't know much about this.

Could someone please explain it to me?

The study cited in the article never claims that CO2 does not absorb and re-emit infrared radiation. However, the article is written in such a way as to imply it.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

DrClaude

Mentor
I'm sorry, but we don't do debunking at PhysicsForums. I'll simply say that the article is complete bunk, trying to apply to climate science irrelevant research results. It's like saying that scientists are wrong when they say people can drink water and survive because research has shown people drown in it.

Thread closed.

Last edited:

russ_watters

Mentor
@Darkmisc , @DrClaude 's water analogy is absolutely apt, but the actual answer is equally concise, so I'll just give it:

The gas between the panes of a window transfers heat between the panes via convection, whereas the Earth loses heat to space via radiation. So as with the water analogy, they are totally different processes.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving