Can someone please debunk this claim that CO2 does not trap heat?

In summary, members of the PhysicsForums community discussed a claim made by climate deniers regarding the use of CO2 in double glazed windows. They concluded that the article was misleading and irrelevant to climate science, as the heat transfer processes involved in windows are different from those of the Earth's atmosphere. Therefore, the claim that CO2 does not trap heat is false and unsupported by the cited study. The thread was closed and no further debunking was provided.
Darkmisc
Hi everybody

I follow climate denier pages and every now and then come across a claim that doesn't seem to have been debunked yet. One such claim is made here:

<link to uacceptable source deleted>

The gist of the article is that scientists experimented with using different gases in double glazed windows and found that windows filled with CO2 did not trap heat better than windows filled with air.

I'm guessing the reason is that the thin layer of CO2 will not re-emit much heat back into a house, and CO2's thermal conductivity might not make it an ideal gas to use between window panes. However, I don't know much about this.

Could someone please explain it to me?

The study cited in the article never claims that CO2 does not absorb and re-emit infrared radiation. However, the article is written in such a way as to imply it.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, but we don't do debunking at PhysicsForums. I'll simply say that the article is complete bunk, trying to apply to climate science irrelevant research results. It's like saying that scientists are wrong when they say people can drink water and survive because research has shown people drown in it.

Thread closed.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes DaveE, russ_watters, 256bits and 2 others
@Darkmisc , @DrClaude 's water analogy is absolutely apt, but the actual answer is equally concise, so I'll just give it:

The gas between the panes of a window transfers heat between the panes via convection, whereas the Earth loses heat to space via radiation. So as with the water analogy, they are totally different processes.

Likes Ibix and FactChecker

1. How does CO2 trap heat?

CO2 traps heat through a process called the greenhouse effect. When sunlight reaches the Earth's atmosphere, some of it is reflected back into space while the rest is absorbed and re-radiated as heat. Greenhouse gases, such as CO2, absorb and trap some of this heat, preventing it from escaping into space and thus warming the Earth's surface.

2. Is there evidence that CO2 traps heat?

Yes, there is overwhelming scientific evidence that CO2 traps heat. This has been demonstrated through laboratory experiments and observations of Earth's atmosphere. Additionally, the increase in atmospheric CO2 levels has been closely correlated with the rise in global temperatures over the past century.

3. Can other factors contribute to the Earth's warming besides CO2?

Yes, there are other factors that can contribute to the Earth's warming, such as changes in solar activity and natural climate cycles. However, the current warming trend is primarily driven by the increase in greenhouse gases, including CO2, from human activities.

4. How do we know that the increase in CO2 is caused by human activities?

Scientists have been able to measure the isotopic composition of atmospheric CO2, which can indicate its source. The increase in atmospheric CO2 levels since the Industrial Revolution has been shown to have a distinct isotopic signature that is consistent with the burning of fossil fuels, which is a human activity.

5. Can we reverse the effects of CO2 trapping heat?

While we cannot completely reverse the effects of CO2 trapping heat, we can slow down and potentially mitigate the impacts by reducing our emissions of greenhouse gases. This can be achieved through various means such as transitioning to renewable energy sources, implementing energy efficiency measures, and promoting sustainable practices. However, it is important to note that some level of warming is already inevitable and will continue to have consequences for the Earth's climate.