Is the Dual-Stage 4 Grid Ion Drive the Key to Faster Space Travel?

In summary, the post was removed originally, there is no media coverage of this new engine, and there are no youtube videos about it either.
darkdave3000
TL;DR Summary
Is it scientific?
My post was removed originally about a designed based on this new engine. I don't know what specific forum rule I broke, I read the entire thing. But I am posting a new threat to ask about the validity of this specific technology. I am asking because there seems to be zero media coverage of it and no youtube videos about it either. Is it scientific? Will it work?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-Stage_4-Grid
https://www.esa.int/gsp/ACT/doc/PRO/ACT-RPR-PRO-IAC2006-DS4G-C4.4.7.pdf

Based on the numbers in wikipedia our long distance travel times have been solved. We can travel to the planets in a fraction of the time quoted by conventional engines now.

So my question is, what am I missing here? Is it just underated by coincidence?

Physics news on Phys.org
darkdave3000 said:
TL;DR Summary: Is it scientific?

Is it scientific? Will it work?
darkdave3000 said:

Based on the numbers in wikipedia our long distance travel times have been solved. We can travel to the planets in a fraction of the time quoted by conventional engines now.
Based on numbers in Wikipedia doesn't prove/demonstrate anything in terms of feasibility or viability, nor does it prove/demonstrate that 'we can travel to the planets in a fraction of the time'.

DS4G has been demonstrated. There are plenty of references. It would still need demonstration, e.g., delivering a payload to Mars orbit, and Jupiter. I would recommend sending unmanned craft to say Jupiter and Saturn, which could still take years - and then what. A round trip is way more complicated than one-way, and I'm not sure how many folks are ready for a decades-long trip. Deterioration of the human body would be significant. Up to now, NASA has used gravity assist to get spacecraft far out to Jupiter, Saturn and the outer planets.

This is an aerospace engineering topic, not an astronomy/astrophysics topic.

Do you want me to move this to an engineering part of the forum then? I thought it's astronomy because it's about space flight.

Well in my original thread that got deleted I did all the specific impulse and one way two way trip numbers. It showed that based on the performance numbers it can get us to Mars in 3 weeks and Titan in 7 months.

[Link deleted by the Mentors]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread closed for Moderation...

darkdave3000 said:

My post was removed originally about a designed based on this new engine. I don't know what specific forum rule I broke
This was not a good start to that previous thread of yours:
I would like to invite you to peer review my idea.

We do not conduct peer review here at PF on new work, and especially on new work that you want to publish at your own website.

The Mentors will review this new thread of yours to see if it can continue in some form. Give us a bit of time...

Update -- please be sure to publish your ideas in acceptable peer-reviewed journals before trying to discuss them here. Thank you, this thread is done.

1. What is a Dual-Stage 4 Grid Ion Drive?

A Dual-Stage 4 Grid Ion Drive is a type of propulsion system used in space travel that utilizes electrically charged particles, or ions, to generate thrust. It consists of two stages, with the first stage accelerating the ions to high speeds and the second stage further accelerating them to achieve even greater speeds.

2. How does the Dual-Stage 4 Grid Ion Drive work?

The Dual-Stage 4 Grid Ion Drive works by using an electrical field to accelerate ions and then expelling them out of the spacecraft at high velocities. This creates a reaction force that propels the spacecraft forward. The two stages allow for a more efficient acceleration process, resulting in higher speeds and longer distances traveled.

3. What are the advantages of using a Dual-Stage 4 Grid Ion Drive?

There are several advantages to using a Dual-Stage 4 Grid Ion Drive for space travel. It is more fuel-efficient compared to traditional chemical propulsion systems, allowing for longer missions and greater distances to be traveled. It also has a higher top speed, making it a promising option for faster space travel.

4. Are there any limitations to the Dual-Stage 4 Grid Ion Drive?

While the Dual-Stage 4 Grid Ion Drive has many advantages, there are also some limitations to consider. One limitation is that it requires a large power source to operate, which can be a challenge to provide in space. Additionally, it may not be suitable for all types of missions and may not be as effective for shorter distances.

5. Is the Dual-Stage 4 Grid Ion Drive the key to faster space travel?

The Dual-Stage 4 Grid Ion Drive shows great potential for faster space travel, but it is not the only factor to consider. Other factors such as spacecraft design, mission objectives, and external forces also play a role in determining the speed of space travel. While the Dual-Stage 4 Grid Ion Drive is a promising technology, it is just one piece of the puzzle in achieving faster space travel.