Ductwork surface area calculation problem

In summary, Tibor is creating an excel spreadsheet for quotations of sheet metal ductwork for his final thesis in economics. He needs to calculate weights for various types of ductwork and is struggling to find the formulas for calculating surface area for certain pieces. He has found some helpful resources online, but is seeking assistance in finding the correct formulas.
tibor
Hello,

I have a major in economics and I am creating an excel spreadsheet for quotations of sheet metal ductwork as my final thesis. I need to calculate weights for various types of ductwork produced in the company I chose for my thesis. In order to calculate weight, I need to know the surface area of ductwork parts. For many parts (pipes, elbows,etc.) I have figured out the formula for surface area myself, resp. found it on the internet. But there are some pieces I am not able to figure out how to get the surface area based on the input parameters.

You will find the pictures of the parts in the pdf attachment for which I need to get the formula for calculation of the surface area (in metric units). I would be very thankful if anyone of you could help me with finding the correct formulas.

Thank you very much for your time, help and effort.

Tibor

Attachments

• Area calculation problems.pdf
    521.2 KB · Views: 616
Physics news on Phys.org

1. How do you calculate the surface area of ductwork?

The surface area of ductwork can be calculated by first measuring the length and width of each duct section. Then, multiply the length and width to get the area of each section. Finally, add the areas of all the sections together to get the total surface area of the ductwork.

2. Why is it important to calculate the surface area of ductwork?

Calculating the surface area of ductwork is important for several reasons. It helps to determine the amount of material needed for insulation, as well as the cost of materials. It also helps to determine the airflow and pressure loss in the duct system, which can impact the efficiency of the HVAC system.

3. What is the formula for calculating the surface area of ductwork?

The formula for calculating the surface area of ductwork is: SA = 2πrL + 2πr², where SA is the surface area, r is the radius, and L is the length of the duct. This formula applies to cylindrical or round ducts. For rectangular or square ducts, the formula is SA = 2lw + 2lh + 2wh, where l, w, and h are the length, width, and height of the duct.

4. Are there any online calculators for ductwork surface area calculation?

Yes, there are several online calculators available for calculating the surface area of ductwork. These calculators typically require input of the dimensions of the duct sections and will generate the total surface area for you. However, it is important to double-check the results and calculations for accuracy.

5. How does the shape of ductwork affect the surface area calculation?

The shape of ductwork can affect the surface area calculation as different shapes have different formulas for calculating surface area. For example, round ducts have a different formula than rectangular or square ducts. It is important to use the correct formula for the specific shape of ductwork being calculated to ensure accuracy.