Dude. How do you Uncross a cross product?

In summary, a cross product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the input vectors. It is commonly used to calculate the area of a parallelogram or the direction of a torque in physics. The formula for calculating a cross product is A x B = (A_y * B_z - A_z * B_y, A_z * B_x - A_x * B_z, A_x * B_y - A_y * B_x), where A and B are the two input vectors. Uncrossing a cross product is not a common mathematical operation and is likely referring to finding the dot product, which is the opposite of the cross product. The result of a cross product
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

If I have [itex]\vec{v}=\vec{\omega}\times\vec{r}[/itex] how do I solve for omega? How do I "cross divide"?

Scalar operations are easier, I know. But how do you do this vectorially?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cool! Thanks LP!

1. What is a cross product?

A cross product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and produces a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the input vectors. It is commonly used to calculate the area of a parallelogram or the direction of a torque in physics.

2. How do you calculate a cross product?

The formula for calculating a cross product is:

A x B = (Ay * Bz - Az * By, Az * Bx - Ax * Bz, Ax * By - Ay * Bx)

where A and B are the two input vectors.

3. What is the purpose of uncrossing a cross product?

Uncrossing a cross product is not a common mathematical operation. It is likely that the person means to find the dot product, which is the opposite of the cross product and is commonly used in vector algebra to calculate the angle between two vectors.

4. How do you interpret the result of a cross product?

The result of a cross product is a vector that is perpendicular to both of the input vectors. The direction of the resulting vector can be determined using the right-hand rule, where the direction of the resulting vector is perpendicular to the plane formed by the two input vectors and follows the direction of the thumb when the fingers of the right hand are curled in the direction of the first vector and then the second vector.

5. Can a cross product be performed on more than two vectors?

No, a cross product can only be performed on two vectors at a time. If you have more than two vectors, you can perform multiple cross products to find the final result. However, the number of vectors must always be even in order for the cross product to be valid.