1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DVD/CD track spacing and storage capacity

1. May 5, 2014 #1
    Hello,

I finished an experiment of finding out the track spacing of a CD and a DVD.
    My laser wavelength was 654nm which I used to calculate track spacing of the optical discs.

I got a track spacing of a CD 1.57um which is close to a real value of 1.6um,
    and the track spacing of a DVD 0.72um which is close to a real value of 0.74um.

Then I calculated the storage capacity of both and got 654 Megabytes for a CD which is pretty good but only 2786 MB for a DVD, which is pretty far from its true value of 4700 MB.

What did I do wrong?

Oh here's the worksheet I used to calculate the storage capacity:
    http://www.teachengineering.org/col..._diffraction_activity1_worksheet_mhf_tedl.pdf

Regards,

NeoXx

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2014 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Please show your work.

4. May 5, 2014 #3
    This is my second experiment where I got similar data as one mentioned in my first post.

Attached Files:

5. May 5, 2014 #4
    Not all DVD's store 4.7 G bytes. Some DVD-RAM store 2.5 G bytes. May be that's what you used?

6. May 5, 2014 #5
    But as far as I know all DVD types have the same track spacing?

As well, I measured the track spacing similar to a normal DVD, and still got 2.8GB...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted