1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dye Dilution; Estimate value of an Integral

1. Jul 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The dye dilution is used to measure cardiac output with 6 mg of dye. The dye concentrations, in mg/L, are modeled by c(t)=20te^(-0.6t), 0 =< t =< 10, where t is measured in seconds. Find the cardiac output.

2. Relevant equations
    Cardiac output is given by: F=A/[itex]\int[/itex][c(t) dt]010 where the amount of dye A is known and the integral can be approximated from the concentration readings.

3. The attempt at a solution

In this case A=6 mg and c(t) = 20te^(-0.6t).

I've been trying to estimate with a Riemann sum and/or Simpson's rule but I can't figure out how to get the integral in the correct form to estimate with.

Wolfram alpha spits out 54.5916 using a Riemann sum, but the next problem in this packet (same setup with different dye amount) suggests I use Simpson's rule.

When I plug values of 0->10 into the function I get weird values but I can't integrate it without an estimation technique.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That is pretty easy to integrate directly, isn't it? I assume you are required to integrate numerically as practice, but what do you get for the integral, analytically?

I don't get anything at all like "54..", I get around 30 for the integral and then around 0.2 for the fraction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook