1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Dynamic Systems] Computing the orbit of a number

1. May 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Choose an even number in the interval [100,199] and compute its orbit under the proper divisor function.

2. Relevant equations
    Proper Divisor Function = σ(n) = Sum of all divisors of n, excluding n

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am unsure what it means by "compute the orbit" of a number. I assumed that it meant that I had to evaluate the number for the given function. Doing that I have:

Chosen number = 138

σ(138) = 1 + 2 + 3 + 6 + 23 + 46 + 69 = 150

I am just not sure if that is what the question is asking. For anyone that has done orbits, is this essentially what I have to do?

Thank you for your assistance.

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

'Orbit' means once you have found σ(138)=150, you then find σ(150)=222. Then find σ(222) and keep on iterating the σ function until you get some sort of pattern. You may have made an unfortunate choice of even integer. It takes a very long time to do anything interesting except get larger. See, https://sites.google.com/site/robertharamoto/Home/programming/numbers/aliquot-sequence if you want to see someone elses experiments with this problem.

Last edited: May 6, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted