1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics- Angular Impulse and Momentum Problem

1. Dec 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The 30-kg reel is mounted on the 20-kg cart. If the cable wrapped around the inner hub of the reel, with radius 150mm, is subjected to a force of P=50 N, determine the velocity of the cart and the angular velocity of the reel when t=4 sec . The radius of gyration of the reel about its center of mass O is kO = 250 mm. Neglect the size of the small wheels.
    Attached is a picture

2. Relevant equations
    IG1+Σ [itex]\int[/itex]MGdt=IG2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I=mk2=1.875 kg/m2
    So my impulse equation solves down to:
    P*r*t=Iω2+mv2
    I end up with 2 variables and 1 equation. What is my missing equation, or how do I relate ω2 and v2?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2012 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry no one has responded thus far.

Not my specialty, but I would base my computations on two interpretations:

1. Irrespective of the motion of the cart, there is a constant torque τ applied to the reel, with resulting angular acceleration, that torque being τ = P*r1 where r1 = radius of inner hub. Thus θ'' = τ/I and you have already computed I, hopefully correctly.

2. The only force applied to the cart + wheel assembly is P. So P = Mx'' for the assembly where M = total assembly mass (50kg).

If these observations hold then the problem is actually quite straightforward. I think they do. I notice that your "impulse equation" has inconsistent dimensions within it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook