Angular acceleration of off balance wheel starting from rest

In summary, the problem involves a 30 kg wheel with a center of mass 0.1 m left from the center of the wheel and a radius of gyration of 0.15 m. The radius of the wheel is 0.25 m. The goal is to find the angular acceleration when the wheel is originally at rest. Using the equations I=mk^2, T=f*d, M=I*a, and Fn acting bottom in Y direction = m*g, we can calculate the moment of inertia to be 0.675 kg*m^2 and the force in the Y direction to be 294.3 N. Setting up the equation for the sum of forces in the Y direction, we get 294.
Arin

Homework Statement

A 30 kg wheel has a center of mass 0.1 m left from the center of the wheel and radius of gyration KG = 0.15 m. Find the angular acceleration if the wheel is originally at rest. The radius of the wheel is 0.25m.

Homework Equations

I=mk^2
T=f*d
M=I*a
Fn acting bottom in Y direction = m*g

The Attempt at a Solution

I=mk^2=(30)*(15^2)=0.675kg*m^2
Fx=0

Fn=(30*9.81)=294.3N
Sum of force in Y: Fn-mg=mass*angular acceleration*radius to center
294.3-294.3=30*a*0.1

Moment about center =ig*a*radius to center of mass
(294.3*.1)=(.675)*a*.1

... lost from here?

Apparently answer is 10.3 rad/s^2

Help please! Been working on this for hours

Physics news on Phys.org
I think we need the complete problem statement as it was provided to you, including the illustration. [emoji998]

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which the angular velocity of an object changes over time. It is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2).

2. How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration refers to the change in the rotational motion of an object, while linear acceleration refers to the change in its linear motion. Angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared, while linear acceleration is measured in meters per second squared.

3. What factors affect the angular acceleration of an off balance wheel starting from rest?

The angular acceleration of an off balance wheel starting from rest is affected by the mass and shape of the wheel, the distance of the off balance weight from the center of the wheel, and the force applied to the wheel.

4. How is the angular acceleration of an off balance wheel starting from rest calculated?

The angular acceleration can be calculated using the formula α = τ/I, where α is the angular acceleration, τ is the torque applied to the wheel, and I is the moment of inertia of the wheel.

5. How does the angular acceleration of an off balance wheel starting from rest affect its motion?

The angular acceleration of an off balance wheel starting from rest will cause the wheel to start rotating and will continue to increase its angular velocity until it reaches a steady state. The direction of the angular acceleration will also determine the direction of the rotation of the wheel.