Block on a wedge on a frictionless incline with relative motion

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
Pipsqueakalchemist
Messages
141
Reaction score
20
Homework Statement
Block B of mass 10-kg rests as shown on the upper surface of a 22-kg wedge A. Knowing that the system is released from rest and neglecting friction, determine (a) the acceleration of B, (b) the velocity of B relative to A at 0.5 s
Relevant Equations
Newton’s 2nd law
Relative motion
So I’m having trouble with relative motion with moving inclines and I literally can’t find any help online and my prof does a lot of these problems. This is one of my homework problems, can anyone help me with it please.
 
Attachments
  • 3B029D46-B2D1-4CFE-95C9-939F63C97EF8.png
    3B029D46-B2D1-4CFE-95C9-939F63C97EF8.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 249
Physics news on Phys.org
Attachments
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 248
PeroK said:
Try using energy and momentum conservation, rather than forces.
But this for Newton’s 2nd law section so I have to use forces. Do you want to see the solutions and maybe you’ll understand better than me.
 
Attachments
  • 3300E6BD-39B2-4AE9-A3C3-616C22EB3873.png
    3300E6BD-39B2-4AE9-A3C3-616C22EB3873.png
    30 KB · Views: 245
  • 812AEA8A-9956-41F3-86DF-EFD2A6616D30.png
    812AEA8A-9956-41F3-86DF-EFD2A6616D30.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 237
Wished I joined this forum sooner ,my midterm is in a few hours and I kinda just accepted that I’m screwed at this point. Hopefully I can understand this better for the exam 😓
 
Pipsqueakalchemist said:
But this for Newton’s 2nd law section so I have to use forces. Do you want to see the solutions and maybe you’ll understand better than me.
The diagrams are hard to read. The idea is that you write down all the forces (obviously) then look for physical constraints: in this case the relationship between the motion of the small block and the large block. Then it's a case of solving the simultaneous equations.

The solution looks light on explanation and heavy on numbers to me.