Dynamics of block with friction how to set up?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
fizziksc
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


a 2.0 kg wood box slides down a vertical wood wall while you push on it at a 45 degree angle. what magnitude of foce should you apply to cause the box to slide down at a constant speed? I know that Mk = .2 (wood on wood)


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I tried to solve it with setting the forces in the y direction. I keep getting it wrong. i said Fy=0=Fasin[tex]\vartheta[/tex] - 19.6 N then solved and got Fa = 27.71 N. however the answer is Fa = 23.1 N
 
Physics news on Phys.org
fizziksc said:

Homework Statement


a 2.0 kg wood box slides down a vertical wood wall while you push on it at a 45 degree angle. what magnitude of foce should you apply to cause the box to slide down at a constant speed? I know that Mk = .2 (wood on wood)


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I tried to solve it with setting the forces in the y direction. I keep getting it wrong. i said Fy=0=Fasin[tex]\vartheta[/tex] - 19.6 N then solved and got Fa = 27.71 N. however the answer is Fa = 23.1 N
You have to look at all forces in the y direction. You missed one. You're going to have to look for all forces in the x direction as well.