Dynamics Question - Simple but stuck

In summary, the student is trying to figure out how much weight is needed to move a object an unknown distance up a slope. They started with two equations and three unknowns, but were not able to figure out how to solve them. They were helped by the fact that F = \mu N, which eliminated one equation. They were then able to solve for N in terms of P.
Chantry09

Homework Statement

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/3732/dynamics01fm7.jpg

Homework Equations

F = M x A
F = u (coefficient of friction) x N

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7526/dynamics02ry1.jpg

W sin 30 = 50000
W cos 30 = 86602.54

1Mg = 10,000KG

86,602.54 = N + P sin 20
50,000 + F = P cos 20

Im left with two unknowns, P and F, and i don't know what i need to do to get either one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks to me like you have two equations and three unknowns. Get rid of F by using what you know about friction (one of your equations listed). Then you'd have two equations and two unknowns--which works out just right.

Are you saying i should combine the two equations into one? Like this?

u x N = M x A

Since its steadily moving up a = 0 so:

0.15 x N = 0

Surely that can't be right? If its any help, answer is listed as 6230 N, but i can't get it myself. It isn't accelerating, so a = 0, but when i put that into the equation it says F and therefore N = 0 which i know can't be right.

Last edited:
You lost me on that last post! All I'm saying is to use [itex]F = \mu N[/itex] to eliminate F from your two equations. Then you can solve them together.

Also: Shouldn't 1Mg = 1,000KG (not 10,000)? (Mg is a rather odd unit!)

Yeah your right, I am sorry, its 1000KG. I am not quite sure how to use F = [tex]\mu[/tex] N

I don't know F, and i don't know N, I only know that [tex]\mu[/tex] is 0.15, and i don't know how i can work out F or N.

Last edited:
Once you eliminate F from your equations (from post #1, after you correct them) by replacing it with [itex]\mu N[/itex], you will have two equations and two unknowns (N and P). Solve those two simultaneous equations and you'll find P.

(To solve them, if that's the problem, take one of them and rewrite it to solve for N in terms of P. Then use it to replace N in the other equation. Then you'll have one equation with only P as your unknown.)

1. What is Dynamics?

Dynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects under the influence of forces.

2. How do I calculate the acceleration of an object?

The acceleration of an object can be calculated by dividing the net force acting on the object by its mass. This can be represented by the equation a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the net force, and m is the mass of the object.

3. What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be represented by the equation F = ma, where F is the net force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

4. How does air resistance affect an object's motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through air. It can decrease the acceleration of an object and eventually reach a point where the drag force equals the force of gravity, causing the object to reach a constant speed known as terminal velocity.

5. Can an object have constant velocity and still have a changing acceleration?

Yes, an object can have a constant velocity and still have a changing acceleration if the direction of its motion changes. This is because acceleration is a vector quantity and takes into account the magnitude and direction of an object's velocity. So, even though the speed of the object may remain the same, its acceleration will change if the direction of its motion changes.