Statics Equilibrium: Normal Force and Static Friction

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the critical value of the angle theta below which slipping will occur for a homogeneous square body positioned on a 60° incline. Neglecting friction at A and using the coefficient of static friction at B, the conversation goes on to discuss the Normal forces at A and B, the weight of the object, and the sum of forces and moments. The person has three pages of handwritten work and has not been able to find the correct answer of 20.7. They ask for help and are asked to show their further work in detail.
jwp0015
1. The homogeneous square body is positioned as shown. If the coefficient of static friction at B is 0.40, determine the critical value of the angle theta below which slipping will occur. Neglect friction at A.

The image:
2d48dfbb-5752-4b3b-a834-281ddfaaf4cd.png

2. NA is the Normal force at A, which is perpindicular to the 60° incline.
NB is the Normal force at B, which is in the positive y direction.
W=mg which is the weight in the negative y direction.
ƩFx=0
ƩFy=0
ƩMB=0 (the moment about B eliminates the unknowns NB and Ff.

3. I have three pages of handwritten work. I started with the Moment about B, and took the moment arm from B to the center of mass (s/2)((sin∅-cos∅)i + (sin∅+cos∅)j. W is simply -Wj. I took the moment arm for the NA force to be s(-cos∅i + sin∅j). NA=NA(cos(30)i + sin(30)j). Putting all of those together into the ƩMB= r1 x W + r2 x NA = 0.

I took the cross products and then summed the y forces and x forces. I have not been able to find equations to set equal to each other or substitue into each other to end up with an answer of (some tangent function of ∅) = (some number)

The answer to the problem is 20.7, but I have had no luck getting there. Thanks for the help ahead of time.

Physics news on Phys.org
jwp0015 said:
1. The homogeneous square body is positioned as shown. If the coefficient of static friction at B is 0.40, determine the critical value of the angle theta below which slipping will occur. Neglect friction at A.

The image:
2d48dfbb-5752-4b3b-a834-281ddfaaf4cd.png

2. NA is the Normal force at A, which is perpindicular to the 60° incline.
NB is the Normal force at B, which is in the positive y direction.
W=mg which is the weight in the negative y direction.
ƩFx=0
ƩFy=0
ƩMB=0 (the moment about B eliminates the unknowns NB and Ff.

3. I have three pages of handwritten work. I started with the Moment about B, and took the moment arm from B to the center of mass (s/2)((sin∅-cos∅)i + (sin∅+cos∅)j. W is simply -Wj. I took the moment arm for the NA force to be s(-cos∅i + sin∅j). NA=NA(cos(30)i + sin(30)j). Putting all of those together into the ƩMB= r1 x W + r2 x NA = 0.

I took the cross products and then summed the y forces and x forces. I have not been able to find equations to set equal to each other or substitue into each other to end up with an answer of (some tangent function of ∅) = (some number)

The answer to the problem is 20.7, but I have had no luck getting there. Thanks for the help ahead of time.

What you have shown from your work looks correct.
Show your further work in detail so we can see what went wrong.

ehild

What is statics equilibrium?

Statics equilibrium is the state in which an object is at rest and experiences no acceleration or net force. This means that all forces acting on the object are balanced and cancel each other out.

What is the normal force?

The normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object that is in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and acts to prevent the object from sinking into the surface.

How is the normal force related to static equilibrium?

In order for an object to be in static equilibrium, the normal force must be equal and opposite to the force of gravity acting on the object. This ensures that the object does not sink into the surface it is resting on.

What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that acts between two surfaces that are not moving relative to each other. It prevents the surfaces from sliding against each other and is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the applied force.

How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction is present when two surfaces are not moving relative to each other, while kinetic friction is present when two surfaces are sliding against each other. Additionally, the force of static friction is typically greater than the force of kinetic friction.