Finding magnitude of force: given v,d,friction coef,mass.

In summary, the problem involves determining the magnitude of the unknown force acting on a 50-kg crate that starts from rest and achieves a velocity of 4m/s when it travels 5 mm to the right. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the ground is 0.3. The crate is being pulled at 30 degrees to the right, and the weight of the crate is 491N. The sum of the forces in the x direction is equal to the mass times acceleration, and the sum of the forces in the y direction is equal to 0. The solution involves finding the unknown force by setting the sum of the forces
modded

Homework Statement

If the 50-kg crate starts from rest and achieves a velocity of v = 4m/s m/s when it travels a distance of 5 mm to the right, determine the magnitude of force acting on the crate. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the ground is = 0.3

The crate is being pulled by the unknown force(p) at 30 degrees to the right.

Homework Equations

Fn=m*g
Ff=μ*Fn
∑F=m*a
a=dv/dt
v=ds/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

The weight ends up being 491.

I started off with summing up the forces in the x and setting them equal to m*a
∑Fx= cos(30)p-0.3(491)=50*a

Then I found the sum of the force in y and set it equal to 0.

∑Fy= sin(30)p+491=0
p=497

When I plug that back into the x equation I get a=5.7

Then I am not sure what to do next.

Do I use the a=dv/dt next?

Thanks again. I had statics last year and I am currently in dynamics and calc 1 so the integration, derivation, and sum of the forces no longer = 0 have me going crazy. I have never used this forum for help so I hope I set this up clearly for you.

Physics news on Phys.org
∑Fx= cos(30)p-0.3(491)=50*a
... so "p" is the unknown pulling force and 491N is the weight of the crate... is that correct?
The friction force depends on the coefficient (you got that) and how hard the crate presses into the ground.
The unknown force has an upwards conponent - what does that do to how hard the crate presses into the ground?

∑Fy= sin(30)p+491=0
p=497
That is only the case if the unknown forces upwards conponent is exactly equal to the weight.
Is that the case? Is the crate "floating"? If sin(30)p < 491 - what happens? Are there any other forces acting vertically on the crate?

Note: ##\cos(30^\circ)=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}##

1. What is the formula for finding the magnitude of force?

The formula for finding the magnitude of force is F = m * a, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of force using velocity, distance, friction coefficient, and mass?

To calculate the magnitude of force using velocity, distance, friction coefficient, and mass, you can use the formula F = (m * v^2) / d, where F is force, m is mass, v is velocity, and d is distance.

3. What is the friction coefficient and how does it affect the magnitude of force?

The friction coefficient is a measure of the force that resists the motion of an object on a surface. It is typically represented by the symbol "µ" and is influenced by the type of surfaces in contact and the force pressing them together. The higher the friction coefficient, the greater the resistance to motion, resulting in a higher magnitude of force needed to move an object.

4. How does mass affect the magnitude of force?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. The greater the mass of an object, the greater the force required to move it. This means that a larger mass will require a greater magnitude of force to achieve the same acceleration as a smaller mass.

5. Can the magnitude of force be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of force can be negative. This means that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the motion of the object. For example, if an object is moving in the positive direction, a negative force would act in the negative direction and slow down or stop the object's motion.