1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics - velocity from polar coordinates

1. Jan 23, 2007 #1
    Car B is driving straight toward the point O at a constant speed v. An observer, located at A, tracts the car with a radar gun. What is the speed |r(dot)B/A| that the observer at A records? --I've attached a crude version of the example picture. By the way, the angle of the line from the origin to the car is 45 degrees.

2. Relevant equations: v = r(dot)*er + r*theta(dot)*e(sub theta); also the trig identities

Because i'm not too particularly familiar with polar coordinates, I haven't managed to get very far. I found the angle between the x-axis and line AB was 63.4 degrees, the length rb/a is 0.224km, and the angle between the line from the origin to B and the line AB is 18.4 degrees. What I did after that was place line AB to the orgin, and extended er in AB's direction from B and e(sub theta) perpendictular from AB at B. I don't know how to go from there. The answer is provided as 0.949v. Am I on the right track, and if so, how do I apply the equation?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2007 #2
    I figured out the answer -- its the cosine of 18.4 degrees, but i'm still not entirely sure about how to get the answer, my approach was trial and error.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?