1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E and D fields of polarizable material

1. Mar 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A semi infinite slab of material, [tex]-\infty<x<0, -\infty<z<\infty, -d/2<y<d/2[/tex]
    has uniform polarization P in the +y direction.

What are the E and D field along x axis at y=0.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\oint \vec{D}\cdot d\vec{a} = Q_{free enclosed}[/tex]
    [tex]D= \epsilon_{0}E+P[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    If I use the integral statement, there is no free charge, D is uniformly 0.
    This seems uninteresting and incorrect...as well as inconsistent with the second relation.

I already know that at the x=y=0 on the boundary, the magnitude of E field drops to 1/2 its "ideal infinite capacitor" (from surface charge due to polarization). IF D were always 0 and P is uniform, than E would have to be uniform, which it is not.

So why is the integral invalid? I recall qualitatively, that the E and D field are inversely related within the material i.e. if one increased the other decreased...outside trivially they are equal, with a dielectric multiplication. How do I correctly calculate D?

Thanks in advance

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The integral is always valid, but not always useful: how do you know that D is uniform and exhibits planar symmetry?

In vacuum, you can tell the symmetries of E by looking at the charge distribution....if the charge distribution is symmetrical, so is E. The same does not hold true for D. The reason is that while E is always completely determined by its divergence (which is proportional to the charge) D is not. Because unlike curl(E), curl(D) is not always zero....I'll leave it to you to determine where curl(D)=curl(P) does not equal zero in this case....:wink:

The symmetries of E are always determined (at least in electrostatics) by the symmetries of the charge distribution, but the symmetries of D are only determined by the symmetries of the free charge distribution in cases where curl(D)=0 everywhere.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  4. Mar 9, 2009 #3
    Ok, i knew that fact, but had forgotten that setting integral to Qenclosed required assuming information about D. Thanks.
    One final question. I need to relate the E field outside this faux capacitor to that inside...specifically,
    Find a relationship between the electric fields in the y = 0 plane at x = a and
    x = -a.
    If I do a line integral E dl around a square bounded by x=-a and x=a, at symmetric y values, the y line integrals should cancel by symmetry, the total the sum should be 0... essentially the E field outside at x=a should be negative that inside at x=-a? This doesnt make sense to me, an infinite fringe field outside? shouldnt it die off the further we go into vaccum?

thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook