E-field from one end of an infinite non-conducting rod

In summary, the student attempted to solve for the charge on a rod by taking a derivative and plugging in values into the equation for charge, but got an incorrect result. They then attempted to solve for qo using a different value for q0 and found that it was 2.3*109N/C, which was incorrect. They realized they were not integrating and attempted to do so numerically, but still ended up with an exponential integral.
arturo

Homework Statement

Screen-Shot-2019-02-04-at-5-55-24-PM.png

Homework Equations

dE= k dq/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I started off taking a derivative of q(x).

dq = -qo/l ⋅ e-x/ldx

Then, I decided that r was the distance x along the rod + .02m. r=(.02+x)

Following that, I plugged everything into the formula:

dE = k⋅qo/l ∫0 e-x/l / (.02 + x)dx

Integrating that I resulted in:

E = -kqo/l ⋅(-e0/(.02)2)

E = kqo/l(.02)2

Plugging in values leaves me with 2.3*109 N/C, which is incorrect. I'm not quite sure where I am going wrong here, any advice or clues to lead me in the right direction would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2019-02-04-at-5-55-24-PM.png
    Screen-Shot-2019-02-04-at-5-55-24-PM.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 612
Physics news on Phys.org
arturo said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 238278

Homework Equations

dE= k dq/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

dq = -qo/l ⋅ e-x/ldx

Then, I decided that r was the distance x along the rod + .02m. r=(.02+x)

Following that, I plugged everything into the formula:

dE = k⋅qo/l ∫0 e-x/l / (.02 + x)dx

Integrating that I resulted in:

E = -kqo/l ⋅(-e0/(.02)2)

E = kqo/l(.02)2

Plugging in values leaves me with 2.3*109 N/C, which is incorrect. I'm not quite sure where I am going wrong here, any advice or clues to lead me in the right direction would be appreciated!
Thanks!
What value did you use for ##\ q_0 \ ## and how did you determine that value ?

Likes Delta2
arturo said:
##dq = -q_0/l ⋅ e^{-x/l}\;dx##
meaning it is negative ?

arturo said:
dE = k⋅qo/l ∫0∞ e-x/l / (.02 + x)dx
what happened to the square in the denominator in your relevant equation ?

SammyS said:
What value did you use for ##\ q_0 \ ## and how did you determine that value ?
I was using the value from the problem statement, 2.9 microC. I did try something else where I integrated q(x) and set it equal to 2.9μC. That resulted in an incorrect value too, but perhaps I did it wrong, I’ll type up what I did when I am no longer on mobile. Is this the correct approach?

BvU said:
what happened to the square in the denominator in your relevant equation ?
that’s just a typo. If you look, it comes back in the next line.

Okay, I tried solving for qo via:
dq = -lqoe-x/l
2.9μC = ∫0-lqoe-x/l
2.9*10-6 = lqo
qo = 2.9*10-6/(.0286)

arturo said:
dq = -qo/l ⋅ e-x/ldx
##q(x)## is a charge distribution, so your ##dq = q(x) dx##, not the derivative.
You have a a distribution function and a total charge given, so you can calculate the ##q_0##.

[edit]I see you already did the latter.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Okay, I think I see why that's the case, but I might have to think about it more. Trying that out:

dq = q(x)dx
dq = qoe-x/l
qo = 2.9*10-6/l
(from above comment)
E = k * 2.9*10-6/l ∫0 e-x/l / (.02 + x)2
E = k * 2.9*10-6 / (l * .022)
E = 2.3*109 N/C

Does this look correct?

arturo said:
Plugging in values leaves me with 2.3*109 N/C, which is incorrect
So from post #1 I'd say no :rolleyes:

I agree with $$E = {kQ\over l}\int_0^\infty {e^{-x\over l}\over (\Delta+x)^2}\;dx$$
How do you work out the integral ? Dimension-wise length-3 doesn't look good...

You are right, I didn’t even notice, haha!

For the integral, at infinity, e goes to zero and the denominator goes to infinity so I say that is 0. At 0, e-x/l becomes one and the denominator becomes .022.

If k is N*m2 / C2 we would get N/(C*m) not N/C which is what we want... so I suppose I’m getting an extra m term in there somewhere...

Repeat: how do you work out the integral? Show steps, please...

Okay, so I realized that I was just evaluating without actually integrating.
0e-x/l/(x2+.04x + .022)
I’m not sure I actually know how to evaluate this integral by hand.

You may need to evaluate it numerically.

Likes SammyS
partial integration is the keyword

Update: even after partial integration, you end up with an exponential integral— something I’m not familiar with yet. Professor assumed we would use an integral calculator apparently. Thank you for your help, I feel like I understand the setup of these problems more than before.

arturo said:
Update: even after partial integration, you end up with an exponential integral— something I’m not familiar with yet. Professor assumed we would use an integral calculator apparently. Thank you for your help, I feel like I understand the setup of these problems more than before.
As @vela said, evaluate it numerically, which is likely what an integral calculator does.

Regarding the attempt at evaluating the integral, ## \displaystyle
\int_0^\infty {e^{-x\over L }\over (\Delta+x)^2}\, dx \,, ~
## by hand, the method to use is called "Integration by Parts", not partial integration.

After two applications of integration by parts, you will have the following integral to evaluate, along with two other terms and a coefficient.

## \displaystyle
\int_0^\infty {\ln (\Delta+x)} ~ e^{-x/L} \, dx \,, ~
##​

This also must be evaluated numerically, so there's not much reason to us integration by parts for this problem.

SammyS said:
the method to use is called "Integration by Parts", not partial integration.
Yeah, I used the original dutch wording that unfortunately was damaged in translation :biggrin:

What is an E-field from one end of an infinite non-conducting rod?

An E-field, or electric field, is a physical quantity that describes the force experienced by a charged particle in an electric field. In the context of an infinite non-conducting rod, the E-field is a vector field that describes the force experienced by a charged particle at any point along the rod's length.

How is the E-field from one end of an infinite non-conducting rod calculated?

The E-field from one end of an infinite non-conducting rod can be calculated using the equation E = λ/2πεr, where λ is the linear charge density of the rod, ε is the permittivity of the surrounding medium, and r is the distance from the rod's center. This equation is derived from Coulomb's Law and takes into account the infinite length of the rod.

What does the E-field from one end of an infinite non-conducting rod look like?

The E-field from one end of an infinite non-conducting rod is a radial field, meaning it points away from the rod in all directions. The magnitude of the field decreases as the distance from the rod increases, following an inverse-square law. This means that the field is strongest near the rod and decreases as you move further away.

How does the E-field from one end of an infinite non-conducting rod change with different charge densities?

The E-field from one end of an infinite non-conducting rod is directly proportional to the linear charge density of the rod. This means that as the charge density increases, so does the strength of the E-field. However, the direction and shape of the field remain the same.

Can the E-field from one end of an infinite non-conducting rod be shielded or cancelled out?

Yes, the E-field from one end of an infinite non-conducting rod can be shielded or cancelled out by the presence of another charged object. This is because the E-field from the rod will interact with the E-field from the other charged object and the resulting field will be a combination of the two. Depending on the charges and distances involved, the resulting field can be weakened or even cancelled out completely.