1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E-field of an ununiformly-charged rod

1. Apr 5, 2006 #1
    ballistic particle and electric field

Throughout space there is a uniform electric field in the -y direction of strength E = 450 N/C. There is no gravity. At t = 0, a particle with mass m = 5 g and charge q = -11 µC is at the origin moving with a velocity v0 = 35 m/s at an angle q = 25° above the x-axis.
    i found out that the magnitude of the force acting on the particle is 0.00495 N.
    the question is this: at t = 5 s, what are the x- and y-coordinatesof the position of the particle?
    x: 158.60 m, but i'm having trouble finding out what the y-coordinate would be, because of the electric field present in the -y direction.

i tried this:
    the initial velocity in the y diction is 35 sin 25'.
    then, v_y = 35sin25 - at, where a = F/m. i've already found F, and m is given. so, a = 0.99
    then, v_y = 35sin25 - 0.99t. plug in t, i get 9.8416. but that's wrong.
    what am i doing wrong?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The integral is correct. How'd you get 7.2e10? K is of order e10 and A of the order e-6 so you should get something of the order e4.
  4. Apr 5, 2006 #3
    doh! i forgot that A is in µC.
    so... 2 * 9e9 * 4e-6 = 72000, and it's still wrong...
    the answer's supposed to be in N/C.

oh. -72000. hehe.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  5. Apr 5, 2006 #4
    i'm recycling the thread. old post was edited to a new question.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?