Electric field in a rotating rod in a magnetic field

In summary: This is because the electric field is opposite in direction to the Lorentz force at this value of ##B##. Your method, using the equation ##eE = m \omega^2 r##, and integrating over the length of the rod, is a perfectly valid way of calculating ##|\Delta V|## for the case where ##B = 0##. For the case where ##B = 3 m \omega / e##, you can use the same method. In this case, the rod has a charge separation due to the electric field, and the motion of the electrons is still circular, so the same equations still apply. The only difference is that the value of ##\omega## is now
Kavya Chopra
Homework Statement
A metal rod of length L, connected to a vertical shaft is rotating in a horizontal plane with a constant angular velocity $omega$ (anticlockwise as seen from above) about one of its fixed ends. Find the potential difference between the ends of the rod. Now, a uniform magnetic field in vertically upward direction is switched on. What should be the magnitude of said field so that the potential difference between the ends of the rod doubles?
Relevant Equations
Centripetal force=mw^2x
The first part of the problem seems easy enough, the free electrons in the wire would move in a circle owing to an electric field that would be induced in the rod which would provide the centripetal force for the same (Please correct me if I am wrong). So we have $$eE=mω^2x$$, where e is the electronic charge, m is the mass of the electron, and E is the electric field at a distance of x from the axle. So, to find the potential difference, I integrate the E over the length of the rod, to get the potential difference as $$mω^2L^2/2e$$, where the free end is at a lower potential difference.

Now for the second part, I figure that the centripetal force is now provided by the resultant Lorentz force, but since the magnetic force is also towards the centre we should have

$$eBωx−eE=mω^2x$$
Now clearly, since the potential difference doubles, so does the electric field, but I believe that in this case, the direction of electric field is the opposite, so I integrate both sides with respect to dx, and I get $$B=3mω/e$$ but the answer given is $mω/e$. I'd like to know what is incorrect about my approach, and if there are any other effects that I am neglecting in my solution, as the intended solution simply equates the motional emf to the difference of the required potential difference in the second and first part. I'd also like a bit more insight into if there are any tangential electric fields in the rod as well, or any other fields that my solution is missing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would the direction of the electric field be opposite of the magnetic field? Lorentz law is ##F= qE + qvB##.

@above as otherwise the lorentz force would exceed the centripetal force

Kavya Chopra said:
The first part of the problem seems easy enough, the free electrons in the wire would move in a circle owing to an electric field that would be induced in the rod which would provide the centripetal force for the same (Please correct me if I am wrong). So we have $$eE=mω^2x$$, where e is the electronic charge, m is the mass of the electron, and E is the electric field at a distance of x from the axle. So, to find the potential difference, I integrate the E over the length of the rod, to get the potential difference as $$mω^2L^2/2e$$, where the free end is at a lower potential difference.

Now for the second part, I figure that the centripetal force is now provided by the resultant Lorentz force, but since the magnetic force is also towards the centre we should have

$$eBωx−eE=mω^2x$$
Now clearly, since the potential difference doubles, so does the electric field, but I believe that in this case, the direction of electric field is the opposite, so I integrate both sides with respect to dx, and I get $$B=3mω/e$$ but the answer given is $mω/e$. I'd like to know what is incorrect about my approach
I agree with your analysis and the result ##B=3mω/e##.

I found it helpful to use vector notation in order to keep track of directions and signs. Here is a long-winded version of your analysis:

$$\sum \vec F = m \vec a$$
$$q\vec E + q \vec v \times \vec B = m(-\omega^2 r \, \hat r)$$
Here, ##r## is your ##x## and ##\hat r## is a unit vector pointing radially outward from the axis of rotation.

Since ##\vec v \times \vec B = vB \hat r = \omega r B \hat r##, we have $$q\vec E + q \omega B r \, \hat r =- m \omega^2 r \, \hat r$$
We can write the charge of the electron as ##q = -e## where ##e## is the elementary charge (##e## is a positive number).

Solving for ##\vec E##, $$\vec E = \left( \frac{m \omega^2 r }{e} - B \omega r \right) \hat r$$

So, for ##B = 0##, $$\vec E = \frac{m \omega^2 r}{e} \hat r$$ For ##B = 0## the electric field inside the rod points radially outward.

Inspection of ##\vec E = \left( \frac{m \omega^2 r }{e} - B \omega r \right) \hat r## shows that as ##B## is increased from zero, ##\vec E## decreases in magnitude and becomes zero when ##B = m \omega /e##. Increasing ##B## beyond this value causes ##\vec E## to increase in the radially inward direction.

When ##B = 3 m \omega/e##, the magnitude of ##\vec E## for a particular value of ##r## is twice the magnitude of ##\vec E## for the case where ##B = 0##.

So ##|\Delta V|## for ##B = 3 m \omega / e## will be twice that for ##B = 0##, but the polarity of ##\Delta V## will be switched.

Likes Kavya Chopra

1. What is the concept of electric field in a rotating rod in a magnetic field?

The concept of electric field in a rotating rod in a magnetic field refers to the phenomenon where a charged rod that is rotating in a magnetic field experiences an induced electric field. This is due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the moving charges in the rod.

2. How is the direction of the induced electric field determined?

The direction of the induced electric field in a rotating rod in a magnetic field is determined by the right-hand rule. This rule states that if you point your thumb in the direction of the rod's rotation and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field, then the direction of the induced electric field will be perpendicular to both your thumb and fingers.

3. What factors affect the strength of the induced electric field?

The strength of the induced electric field in a rotating rod in a magnetic field depends on several factors, including the speed of rotation, the strength of the magnetic field, and the amount of charge on the rod. Increasing any of these factors will result in a stronger induced electric field.

4. How does the induced electric field affect the motion of the charged particles in the rod?

The induced electric field in a rotating rod in a magnetic field exerts a force on the charged particles in the rod, causing them to move in a circular path. This is known as the Lorentz force and is responsible for the circular motion of the particles in the rod.

5. Can the induced electric field be used for practical applications?

Yes, the induced electric field in a rotating rod in a magnetic field has practical applications. It is commonly used in devices such as generators and electric motors, where the rotation of a coil in a magnetic field produces an induced electric field that can be harnessed to generate electricity or produce motion.