E^(-i * x) not well-defined. Why?

• Thread starter nigels
  • Start date
In summary: Basically, the ill-definition of e^(-2iθ) is because it does not have a real z-axis at 0. This means that the imaginary part of the equation no longer has a real number that can be plugged into the functional to get the real part of the answer.
nigels
e^(-i * x) not well-defined. Why??

Hi, Just saw this as a step in an example that demonstrates the differentiability of holomorphic function. But I can't for the life of me figure out why e^(-2iθ) is ill-defined.

Physics news on Phys.org

nigels said:
Hi, Just saw this as a step in an example that demonstrates the differentiability of holomorphic function. But I can't for the life of me figure out why e^(-2iθ) is ill-defined.

What do you mean it is ill-defined. Why do you say that? It's well defined in the opinions of many smart people. I can't go beyond that until I know what objection there is to the conventional definition there is.

It is well defined as a function of a real variable theta. But as a function on the plane, considering theta=theta(z), it has a problem at z=0. Does this answer your question? It is hard to tell without more context.

As a function of z, this function is the complex conjugate of (z/|z|)^2

The standard definition of "function" for real numbers requires that "if x= y, then f(x)= f(y)"- i.e. that f is "well-defined". For functions of complex variables, that is simply too restrictive. "Functions" that we would like to be able to use, such as [itex]e^x[/itex] would no longer be "functions". So we drop that requirement.

Some functions are given the requirement of Principal Value to make some functions of a complex variables become actual functions.

I.e , let z=Re^(ix), and restrict x to be in
(-pi,pi].

This restriction works since e^(ix)=e^(ix+i*2n*pi) for all integers n.

On the other hand, it makes functions behave less like we would wabt them to.

That is, Log(xy)=/=Log(x)+Log(y) generally for principal value logarithm. On the other hand, log(xy)=log(x)+log(y).

(correct me if I'm wrong as I am just typing from memory)

Edit: x,y is a complex number for the logarithm examples.

1. What is the meaning of E^(-i * x)?

The expression E^(-i * x) is known as the complex exponential function. It represents a complex number with a magnitude of 1 and an angle of -x radians in the complex plane. In other words, it is a way to represent a point on the unit circle in the complex plane.

2. Why is E^(-i * x) not well-defined?

E^(-i * x) is not well-defined because it leads to a division by zero error. This is because the value of E^(-i * 0) would be 1, but at the same time, the value of E^(-i * π) would also be 1. This inconsistency makes it impossible to assign a single value to the expression.

3. Can E^(-i * x) be defined in some special cases?

Yes, E^(-i * x) can be defined in some special cases. For example, if x is a real number, then E^(-i * x) represents a point on the unit circle in the complex plane. However, it is not possible to define a single value for E^(-i * x) for all values of x.

4. What are some applications of E^(-i * x)?

E^(-i * x) has many applications in mathematics and physics. It is used in Fourier analysis, which is a mathematical technique for decomposing a complex signal into simpler components. It also appears in quantum mechanics, where it is used to represent the wave function of a quantum system.

5. Are there any other similar expressions that are not well-defined?

Yes, there are other similar expressions that are not well-defined, such as 0^0 and ∞ - ∞. These expressions also lead to division by zero errors or inconsistencies, making it impossible to assign a single value to them.