Why differential of e^x is special?

In summary, the differential of e^x is special because it is equal to the function itself, which is not the case for most other functions. Euler's number, e, is a special number in mathematics due to its unique properties, including being the base of the natural logarithm and the only function that is equal to its own derivative. The differential of e^x is calculated using the power rule of differentiation and has many real-world applications in fields such as science, engineering, and finance. However, this property is unique to e^x and cannot be extended to other functions.
fission
I learned that differential of e^x is same but what's so special about it? What makes is so special as it seems like a normal function to me other than the fact that e= sum of series of reciprocal of factorial numbers. What i want to ask is if e^x differential is e^x then do this rule apply to b^x too? Where b is a positive base. Why or why not?

Physics news on Phys.org
fission said:
I learned that differential of e^x is same but what's so special about it? What makes is so special as it seems like a normal function to me other than the fact that e= sum of series of reciprocal of factorial numbers. What i want to ask is if e^x differential is e^x then do this rule apply to b^x too? Where b is a positive base. Why or why not?

No ##\frac{db^x}{dx} = \log_e (b) b^x##.
So we get the desired formula when ##b = e##

When you would look at differentiation as an operation in a function space , ##e^x## would be a neutral element for this operation.

Last edited by a moderator:
fission said:
Actually, what you're asking about is the derivative of ex, not the differential of ex.

fission said:
One can ask which functions ##f : \mathbb{R} \longrightarrow \mathbb{R}## satisfy ##\frac{d}{dx}f(x) = f(x)##. The solution is ##x \mapsto c \cdot e^x##.
So ##x \mapsto e^x## is the solution that additionally satisfies the condition ##f(0) = 1##.
This is one way to define the exponential function.

Others are a limit or a version of the series you mentioned.

As you also mentioned ##g(x) = b^x##, there is one thing they have in common: both satisfy ##g(x+y) = g(x) + g(y)##.
But as @Math_QED has said, ##\frac{d}{dx} g(x) = \log(b) \cdot g(x) \neq g(x)## if the basis isn't ##e##.

1. What makes the differential of e^x special compared to other functions?

The differential of e^x is special because it is equal to the function itself. In other words, the derivative of e^x is e^x, which is not the case for most other functions. This property is known as being "self-derivative" or "self-similar."

2. Why is e^x considered to be a special number in mathematics?

Euler's number, denoted as e, is a special number in mathematics because of its unique properties. It is the base of the natural logarithm and is used in many important mathematical equations and concepts, such as compound interest and continuous growth. Additionally, e^x is the only function that is equal to its own derivative.

3. How is the differential of e^x calculated?

The differential of e^x is calculated using the power rule of differentiation. This rule states that the derivative of e^x is equal to e^x multiplied by the derivative of the exponent, which in this case is 1. Therefore, the differential of e^x is simply e^x.

4. What is the significance of the differential of e^x in real-world applications?

The differential of e^x has many real-world applications, particularly in the fields of science, engineering, and finance. It is used to model continuous growth and decay processes, and it is also used in the calculation of compound interest. In physics, e^x is used to describe exponential decay and growth in various systems.

5. Can the differential of e^x be extended to other functions?

No, the differential of e^x is a unique property of the function e^x and cannot be extended to other functions. While some functions may have similar properties, such as being self-derivative, they are not equivalent to e^x and therefore do not have the same differential.