E&M Current Carrying Loop in B-field.

In summary, the force on a square loop, centered at the origin and carrying a counterclockwise current, in a region with a magnetic field of B=kz\hat{x} (k constant), can be found by standing at x=+infinity and looking towards the origin.
physman88

Homework Statement

Suppose that the magnetic field in some region has the form B=kz[tex]\hat{x}[/tex] (k constant). Find the force on a square loop (side a) , lying in the yz plane and centered at origin if it carries current I flowing counterclockwise, when you look down the x-axis.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand how to work out the math, its just that "look down the x-axis" tidbit at the end. when it says you're looking DOWN the x-axis, does that mean standing on the negative end looking down the positive, or vice-versa, cause that's quite important for the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
physman88 said:
I understand how to work out the math, its just that "look down the x-axis" tidbit at the end. when it says you're looking DOWN the x-axis, does that mean standing on the negative end looking down the positive, or vice-versa, cause that's quite important for the problem.

It means that if you were standing at x=+infinity and looking towards the origin, you'd see the current going counterclockwise.

Thanks! That's what my "gut feeling" told me, but it seemed odd for some reason

1. What is an E&M Current Carrying Loop in B-field?

An E&M Current Carrying Loop in B-field is a loop of wire through which an electric current is flowing and is placed in a magnetic field. This loop experiences a force due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the current flowing through it.

2. How does the B-field affect the current carrying loop?

The B-field exerts a force on the current carrying loop due to the Lorentz force law, which states that a charged particle moving in a magnetic field experiences a force perpendicular to both the field and its direction of motion. This force causes the loop to rotate and align itself with the direction of the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect the strength of the force on the current carrying loop?

The strength of the force on the current carrying loop depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the current flowing through the loop, and the length of the loop. The force is also dependent on the angle between the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the current.

4. What is the direction of the force on the current carrying loop?

The direction of the force on the current carrying loop is determined by the right-hand rule. If the thumb of the right hand points in the direction of the current, and the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, the palm will face in the direction of the force exerted on the loop.

5. How is the torque on the current carrying loop calculated?

The torque on the current carrying loop in a magnetic field is calculated by multiplying the force on the loop by the perpendicular distance between the loop and the axis of rotation. This can be represented mathematically as τ = IABsinθ, where I is the current, A is the area of the loop, B is the magnetic field strength, and θ is the angle between the direction of the force and the direction of the magnetic field.