Ear muffs that block human speech?

In summary, the reviewer seems to have the same problem as you: they want to block human speech so they can study, but normal noise-cancelling headphones don't work for it. They suggest ear plugs, industrial ear defenders, or ear muffs, all of which are reasonably priced and available at various stores.
ainster31
Apparently, from what I heard, it's illegal in the US to sell headsets that block sound in the 1k Hz to 2k Hz frequency range. The problem is that human speech is in that range and I want to block human speech so I can study. Normally, the product description reads something like this:

Patented nonelectronic noise-filtering technology filters out loud, harmful noises while allowing other important information, such as the human voice, warning sounds and alarms, to be heard.

Noise-cancelling headphones don't work for human speech and while I can drown out them with white noise, I feel like I'm going to go deaf from white noise.

Does anyone know of any products designed to reduce human voices? I am OK with purchasing it from the black market or sketchy stores if necessary.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, we don't have a ministry of headphones in the US, so I don't know what you heard about illegal headphones. AFAIK, there are no sketchy headphone stores here, and I don't recall any major busts of black-market headphone traffickers. I think someone is pulling your leg.

Have you tried industrial strength ear plugs?

The reviewer in this article seemed to have the same problem as you:

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/shopping/2005/05/the_sound_of_silence.html

Likes 1 person
Hmm, any article like that except for ear muffs instead?

It seems that ear plugs are good at blocking human voices but I wonder if there are ear muffs that can do the same.

People who work in high-nose environments wear ear protection which is made with a solid shell that covers the entire ear. You see these people outside working around aircraft or in enclosed spaces working around gas turbine engines, which emit high dB noise in copious amounts.

These models are reasonably priced:

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...gclid=CMfBvLG467wCFUVgMgodt1IACg&gclsrc=aw.ds

You can find similar for 10X these prices:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/66847?productId=1113490&qs=3016887_mercent_google_pla&attrValue_0=Green&mr:trackingCode=7E645596-B0F0-E211-A497-90E2BA285E75&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla&mkwid=qMaR1994_dc&pcrid=34644939417

And some from Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Howard-L...-Wire-Earmuffs-1013942/203066871?N=5yc1vZc22t

Likes 2 people
anister31, did you get to the bottom of this? I would love to know if you have found the solution to this problem. I work in a very noisy office and am interested in ear defenders that specifically block human speech frequencies. I seem to be running into the same problem you observed; all the industrial ear defenders specifically permit speech frequencies to allow the workers to communicate, often without removing their ear defenders it seems.

Did you find a suitable product in the end?

1. How do ear muffs block human speech?

Ear muffs that are specifically designed to block human speech use a combination of sound-absorbing materials and soundproofing techniques. These materials and techniques work together to reduce the intensity of sound waves, making it difficult for human speech to be heard.

2. Are ear muffs that block human speech effective?

Yes, ear muffs that are designed to block human speech can be very effective. However, their effectiveness may vary depending on the type of ear muffs and the level of sound they are exposed to. It is important to choose ear muffs that are specifically designed for blocking human speech and to use them correctly.

3. Can ear muffs that block human speech also block other sounds?

Yes, ear muffs that are designed to block human speech can also block other sounds to some extent. However, their main purpose is to block human speech, so they may not be as effective in blocking other types of sounds.

4. Are there any potential risks of using ear muffs that block human speech?

Using ear muffs that block human speech may not be suitable for all situations. For example, if you are in a noisy environment where it is important to hear warnings or alarms, using these ear muffs may pose a safety risk. It is important to use these ear muffs responsibly and to be aware of potential risks.

5. Can ear muffs that block human speech be used for communication?

No, ear muffs that are designed to block human speech are not suitable for communication. These ear muffs are specifically designed to block human speech and may make it difficult for you to hear or communicate with others. It is important to remove these ear muffs when you need to communicate with others.