Earn Bachelor's Degree in Physics: Best Option?

In summary, if you want to get a bachelor's degree in physics, you should take a university's evening courses.
jhooper3581
Let's say a person is working full-time on a job. Then, if he/she wanted to get a bachelor's degree in physics for example, then what's his/her best choice? To take a university's evening courses, or online courses, or what?

Physics news on Phys.org
Courses are usually scheduled during the daytime (at least all except a couple of my science classes were). Online courses are fine but there is only so much you can learn from that method. I took an intro pharmacology course online and found it fine, but that is probably because it is more memorization than solving problems. If you want to work full time and go back to school then you should look into schools of your choice for schedules, degree planning, etc and also look to re-organize your life as being a full time student is tough even without a full time job.

I don't think there's a "best" choice out there. It really depends on the person.

I would suggest that you start out by taking a first-year university physics class and maybe first year calculus as well. This will help you get your feet wet and learn if the study of physics at the university level is what you really want to do.

VeeEight said:
Courses are usually scheduled during the daytime (at least all except a couple of my science classes were)

I go to a big commuter school that caters to people who work, so there are almost always night sections of all the prereqs and a lot of the required courses. By the time I got to the 3rd year of engineering, I couldn't get out of taking night courses. I also know guys who are working full time and just have it sorted out with their boss for the hours they need to miss to be in class.

Related to Earn Bachelor's Degree in Physics: Best Option?

1. What are the career options for someone with a Bachelor's degree in Physics?

There are many career options for those with a Bachelor's degree in Physics. Some common options include working as a research scientist, engineer, data analyst, or educator. Physics graduates are also sought after in fields such as finance, computer science, and healthcare.

2. How long does it take to earn a Bachelor's degree in Physics?

The typical length of time to earn a Bachelor's degree in Physics is four years. However, this may vary depending on the specific program and whether a student takes courses part-time or full-time.

3. What skills will I develop by earning a Bachelor's degree in Physics?

In addition to a strong foundation in mathematics and scientific thinking, a Bachelor's degree in Physics will also develop skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, data analysis, and communication. These skills are highly valued in many industries and can lead to diverse career opportunities.

4. Can I pursue a graduate degree in Physics with a Bachelor's degree in another field?

It is possible to pursue a graduate degree in Physics with a Bachelor's degree in another field, but it may require additional coursework or prerequisites. It is important to research the specific requirements for the graduate program you are interested in and speak with an advisor for guidance.

5. How can I choose the best Bachelor's degree program in Physics for my goals?

There are several factors to consider when choosing a Bachelor's degree program in Physics, including the curriculum, research opportunities, faculty expertise, and location. It is also important to consider your career goals and choose a program that aligns with your interests and future plans.