I want a PhD in Physics, having a Bachelor in math

In summary: I had a 3.2 GPA. In summary, the individual is looking for practical advice on how to study the required undergraduate courses in Physics without enrolling in a Bachelor's degree due to financial constraints. Options suggested include working and saving money, competing for limited financial aid, or joining the military. Online courses are not recommended due to lack of interactivity and laboratory components. It is also recommended to consider if pursuing a PhD in Physics is the best option and to assess previous physics coursework, GPA, and research experience to determine competitiveness for graduate programs.
balazem
I know that I need to satisfy the core requirements for a Bachelor's in physics and I have the ability and desire to do it. I live in California.. Here, and I believe almost everywhere, public universities do not allowe enrollment in a second Bachelor's, even online. Private universities are not affordable for me and I don't like them anyway ( maybe a sour grape scenario :) ). So how can I study the required undergraduate courses in Physics without enrolling in a Bachelor;s degree? Any practical advise?

Physics news on Phys.org
balazem said:
I know that I need to satisfy the core requirements for a Bachelor's in physics and I have the ability and desire to do it. I live in California.. Here, and I believe almost everywhere, public universities do not allowe enrollment in a second Bachelor's, even online. Private universities are not affordable for me and I don't like them anyway ( maybe a sour grape scenario :) ). So how can I study the required undergraduate courses in Physics without enrolling in a Bachelor;s degree? Any practical advise?
Online? Some trouble with "online" is that this restricts interactivity too much, and by itself gives no accommodation for laboratory component of study.

Likes balazem
Fundamentally, this is a financial problem. You need someone to pay for this. (And you don't need a degree, you need the coursework for a degree. That's a little easier. But it does need to be for credit)

There is very, very little financial aid available for second bachelors or non-degree seeking students. There aren't resources to pay for everybody's first degree. In a world of finite resources, it's difficult to tell Mary, a single mom trying to finish her degree in nursing, that she's not going to get financial support because someone else wants their second degree, or at least the equivalent coursework.

As I see it, your options are:
1. Work, save and/or borrow. The cost you are looking at is comparable to a new car. A nice new car., Difficult but not impossible. i know a guy who did pretty much what you want by working on oil pipelines in Alaska for a couple years.
2. Successfully compete against Mary the Nurse for the limited financial aid there is. If you go this route, you need a convincing answer to the question "Why you?"
3. The military. It is possible (although few manage it) to save a great deal of money in the military, especially at sea or on base. There are also educational benefits post-service. Thing is, if you want a short service period, you will have little choice as to your job and location.

I don't see online as a\n option. For-credit online is still expensive and it will not provider a convenient source of letters of recommendation for grad school.

Likes balazem
A very thoughtful response thank you. BTW I would never want to compete with Mari for the finite resources.
Now, suppose the financial side is solved what it is next?

symbolipoint said:
Online? Some trouble with "online" is that this restricts interactivity too much, and by itself gives no accommodation for laboratory component of study.
I see your point, thank you.

Next step? If you have the cash, enroll in the missing classes at your local college for-credit as a non-degree-seeking student.

• Informative
Likes DeBangis21, gwnorth and balazem
Vanadium 50 said:
Next step? If you have the cash, enroll in the missing classes at your local college for-credit as a non-degree-seeking student.
Thank you so much! You comments are really informative. I will look into it and find out schools that accept non-degree-seeking students.

To the OP:

You state that you have a bachelor's degree in math. I have the following questions for you:

1. Are you certain that you want to pursue graduate studies in physics?

2. How many physics courses have you taken when you finished your undergraduate math degree?

3. What was your GPA when you finished your undergraduate degree in math?

4. Do you have any research experience when you finished your bachelor's degree, either in physics or in math?

Answering question #1 will determine whether it is really worth it for you to even consider pursing a PhD in physics.

Answering question #2 will determine how many physics courses you will need to take as a non-degree student (and thus the potential cost to you).

Answering questions #3 and #4 will determine how competitive you will be when applying for graduate programs in general.

Likes berkeman
1. Are you certain that you want to pursue graduate studies in physics? Yes

2. How many physics courses have you taken when you finished your undergraduate math degree? Awhile ago I took the basic lower division undergraduate college physics (4). I also self studied upper division quantum mechanics but I forgot most of it.

3. What was your GPA when you finished your undergraduate degree in math? 3.6 from an elite public university in California.

4. Do you have any research experience when you finished your bachelor's degree, either in physics or in math? A little in math in the area of partial differential equations but didn't publish yet. I am trying.

Thank you so much

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure you cannot get where you want to go with an advanced degree in Math. For example, you mention partial differential equations. Einstein's field equations are nonlinear differential equations of the hyperbolic type. These equation can have non-analytic solutions. Mathematicians may be more aware of this than physicists. In Relativity theory, you may find researchers to work with in the math departments.

It may be best to start to look at mathematics and physics doctoral theses in your elite university in California. Then after looking at a few of each type, this can suggest whether you would be more comfortable writing the mathematics one or the physics one. I found there to be quite a difference in emphasis and style between them.

• Informative
Likes jbergman and berkeman
To the OP: Why?

the navy has a program called nuclear jet propulsion officer. which would allow you to pursue a phd in physics. not sure of the details, too lazy to look. just no about it, since I got recruited for it.

Likes jbergman
MidgetDwarf said:
nuclear jet propulsion officer.
What? And whose navy? Nuclear jets were a crazy idea in the 50's.

Further, if this is the US Navy, they are not interested in funding people's second and third bachelor's, at least not up front. Their reaction will be "He has a BS? Great, If he wants to join the Navy, he can sign right up for Officers Candidate School."

Vanadium 50 said:
What? And whose navy? Nuclear jets were a crazy idea in the 50's.

Further, if this is the US Navy, they are not interested in funding people's second and third bachelor's, at least not up front. Their reaction will be "He has a BS? Great, If he wants to join the Navy, he can sign right up for Officers Candidate School."
@Vanadium 50 , at the risk of going off-topic from this thread, I have a question.

Is it generally the case that in the US, someone who wishes to join the Navy who has completed an undergraduate college/university degree will automatically qualify for Officers Candidate School (so in essence, would be the equivalent of completing the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis)?

Would the same also apply to those who, say, wish to the join the Army or the Air Force?

It is usually, but not universally the case, irrespective of branch.

Likes berkeman
If you are talented enough to work at a Naval Research/Development lab as a civilian, you might get some graduate study supported if your employer believes it will enhance the mission. I even know a few who did get some of their PhD, funded. This was 20-40 years ago though. Not sure about today.

It is absolutely not necessary to work in a DOD defense lab. Lots and lots of employers will pay college tuition. Just as a benefit.

The problem is that employers expect their employees to be working full-time, and that means studying for an advanced degree goes slower. If you take 7 years as an average PhD time, and 2 years of remedial physics work, and assume one can progress one-quarter as fast as a full time student, you get 36 years.

A second issue is that if the only person doing anything you are interested in is at one of the countries and you're at the other, how do you make this work?

Likes mpresic3

1. What is the difference between a Bachelor's degree in math and a PhD in Physics?

A Bachelor's degree in math typically provides a broad foundation in mathematical concepts, while a PhD in Physics focuses on a specific area of physics and requires original research. Additionally, a PhD in Physics often involves coursework in advanced mathematics and experimental techniques.

2. Can I pursue a PhD in Physics with a Bachelor's degree in a different field?

It is possible to pursue a PhD in Physics with a Bachelor's degree in a different field, but it may require additional coursework to catch up on foundational concepts. It is important to have a strong understanding of math and physics principles before pursuing a PhD in Physics.

3. How long does it take to complete a PhD in Physics after obtaining a Bachelor's degree in math?

The length of time to complete a PhD in Physics can vary, but on average it takes 4-6 years after obtaining a Bachelor's degree. This time frame can also depend on factors such as the individual's research progress and any additional coursework required.

4. What career opportunities are available with a PhD in Physics and a Bachelor's degree in math?

With a PhD in Physics and a Bachelor's degree in math, there are a variety of career opportunities available. Some common career paths include research positions in academia or industry, teaching at the university level, and roles in government or private sector organizations.

5. Is it beneficial to have a Bachelor's degree in math before pursuing a PhD in Physics?

Having a Bachelor's degree in math before pursuing a PhD in Physics can be beneficial, as it provides a strong foundation in mathematical concepts that are crucial in the field of physics. It can also make the transition to advanced coursework and research in physics smoother. However, it is not a requirement and individuals with a strong background in physics may also be successful in a PhD program.