1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Earnshaw's Theorem and electrostatics

1. Jan 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    14: a: It is impossible to have a stable equilibrium in electrostatics. This idea is known as Earnshaw’s Theorem. Let’s prove this fact. Assume that at a particular point P that a charge Q is in a stable equilibrium. Think about the direction of E⃗ necessary for the equilibrium. Now use Gauss’ Law with a spherical gaussian surface centered on P. Show that this leads to a contradiction.
    b: Imagine a square in the xy plane with a point charge Q fixed at each corner. Now put a test charge q in the exact center of the square. What direction(s) can we move q in for which the equilibrium is stable? For which it is not stable? Explain.

2. Relevant equations
    Gauss's equation: (E*A)/(Qenclosed*(Permittivity of free space))

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've figured out that the direction of E has to be inward, but i don't understand why. With some research i've found the proof where the divergence comes out to zero, but wouldn't that mean it achieves stable equilibrium? Seems a bit contradictory. Also, if you use a spherical versus a circular surface, you get a difference in answer by a factor of 1/3... That's the best i can do. Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No, that could be metastable, like a ball on a surface that is fully horizontal.

4. Jan 29, 2013 #3
    I like your analogy, a lot actually. But how can i prove that using Gauss' theorem leads to a contradiction?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook