1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Earth's gravitational field strength

1. Sep 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (a) Find the altitude above the Earth's surface where Earth's gravitational field strength would be two-thirds of its value at the surface. Assume re = 6.371 multiplied by 10^3 km.
    wrong check mark km
    (b) Find the altitude above the Earth's surface where Earth's gravitational field strength would be one-third of its value at the surface.
    wrong check mark km

[Hint: First find the radius for each situation; then recall that the altitude is the distance from the surface to a point above the surface. Use proportional reasoning.]

2. Relevant equations
    F = GMm/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried it and I am either calculating wrong or setting it up wrong... or both. One problem I see with the formula is that it doesnt have the mass of the second object.. so I dont know what to do there.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2008 #2
    you do not need to know the mass of the second object. F=ma and the masses of the second object cancel out. a=9.8m/s^2 on earth and at the point above the earth a=9.8/3 let r=radius of earth + altitude. then plug in and solve for a.

4. Sep 26, 2008 #3
    Sorry but that still isn't helping me. Are you just using the F=ma formula?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?