Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Earths magnetic field is changing

1. May 22, 2008 #1
    I heard that a moving magnet creates a charge in a nearby wire. (can you see where im going here?)

If we were to wrap a gigantic wire around the earth, would we in-fact yield some energy and of what magnitude do you expect that to be?

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2008 #2
    A rotating magnet does create charge, but the magnetic has to be moved pretty fast in order to generate current, or you would have to have a lot of coils around the turning magnet in ordertro generate sufficient current, but everything on earth will move together with the earth, so it wont be a coil around a rotating magnet, it would be a coil and a magnet rotating which I do not believe would generate current. Secondly, the earths magnetic has 2 poles, most generators now are 3 or 5 phase electrical generators. So my answer to your question, if you are able to wrap a coil round, making it so it does not rotate with the earth ( which is fairly difficult ) you might be able to yield some current through your wire.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?