Easy conceptual energy problem?

In summary: I agree with you. Thanks for your input! :)Also note that the slope between E and F never becomes vertical, so there is always going to be a normal force. This allows a frictional force to always be present over the entire path between E and F.
mot
"Easy" conceptual energy problem?

Homework Statement

Here's the diagram

http://nkkkjkjjjjjjjjjjj.tumblr.com/image/65137695911
A bead slides on a wire, which is in a vertical plane, as shown in the diagram. Gravity acts in the -y direction. The bead starts at A, moving to the right with an initial velocity v. The wire is frictionless between A and D and between F and G, but there is friction between D and F. (For each statement select True, False, Greater than, Less than, Equal to, or Not enough information to tell.
1. The bead's kinetic energy at B is ... its kinetic energy at F
2. Between A and C, there is positive work done on the bead
3. Between D and F, the speed decreases, then increases
4. The speed at C is ... the speed at E

Homework Equations

E_g=mgy
E_k=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The bead's kinetic energy at B is ... its kinetic energy at F: For this is said greater than because, although they are at the same height, all the energy is not conserved because it experiences friction between D and F.
Between A and C, there is positive work done on the bead
I said True because the dispacement is in the same direction as the force of gravity
Between D and F, the speed decreases, then increases
I said true for this one. At D it experiences friction and slows down while moving horizontally, then it starts to go down, so a component of gravity acts to accelerate it. Even if it is still slowing down, it's still speeding up relative to its speed at E.
The speed at C is ... the speed at E
I put not enough info...We don't know how much friction slowed the bead down between D& E compared to how much it "sped up" on that decline between C & D.

But these answers are wrong...can someone help? Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solutions look correct to me.
Welcome to PF

Last edited:
Your answer to 3 looks wrong. You don't know whether gravity will win out over friction. So, it could still be slowing from E to F. Not enough info.

Chestermiller said:
Your answer to 3 looks wrong. You don't know whether gravity will win out over friction. So, it could still be slowing from E to F. Not enough info.

That was it! It makes sense too. The "deceleration" from E to F should be less than D to E, but it could still be slowing relative to the speed before D, or it could be speeding up depending on the angle.
Thanks! :)

Chestermiller said:

agree

mot said:
That was it! It makes sense too. The "deceleration" from E to F should be less than D to E, but it could still be slowing relative to the speed before D, or it could be speeding up depending on the angle.
Thanks! :)

Also note that the slope between E and F never becomes vertical, so there is always going to be a normal force. This allows a frictional force to always be present over the entire path between E and F.

Chet

the same diagram but different question, mine is
True False Greater than Less than Equal to Not enough information to tell The bead's potential energy at B is ... its potential energy at F
True False Greater than Less than Equal to Not enough information to tell Between A and B, the speed increases
True False Greater than Less than Equal to Not enough information to tell The speed at C is ... the speed at E
True False Greater than Less than Equal to Not enough information to tell Between D and E, there is positive work done on the bead,
i choose these answers but its incorrect i don't know which one do i get wrong

the same diagram but different question, mine is
The bead's potential energy at B is ... its potential energy at F
Between A and B, the speed increases
The speed at C is ... the speed at E
Between D and E, there is positive work done on the bead,
the first one i choose greater than , second i choose true,third i choose not enough inform, the last one i choose false
i choose these answers but its incorrect i don't know which one do i get wrong

Please tell us your rationale for each of your choices. That's more important than getting the actual right answer.

Chet

i think EP B is GREATER than F is because when its the same height F experience the friction which means that the Ep is not all transferred at position F
and i think the speed is increasing from A to B due to the conservation of energy mgh(i) + 1/2mv(i)^2= mgh(f)+1/2mv(f)^2,so as the height decrease the speed will increase.speed between C and E is not enough inform to tell since E undergoes friction but c has the larger height, and the last one i think it should be negative,because they have the same height and when undergoing the friction its a process of losing energy which will cause negative work , this is my understanding i am not sure whether it's correct or not

Ruobing Shao said:
i think EP B is GREATER than F is because when its the same height F experience the friction which means that the Ep is not all transferred at position F

This is the one that's wrong. Now that you know it, can you figure out why?

Chet

sorry i don't get why, wait is that because potential energy is no relation to friction since kinetic energy will be the one matters?

i get it , it should be equal thank you so much

What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It can come in many forms, such as heat, light, and motion. It is a fundamental concept in physics and plays a crucial role in our daily lives.

What is a conceptual energy problem?

A conceptual energy problem is a physics problem that focuses on understanding the concepts and principles related to energy, rather than solving numerical calculations. It requires critical thinking and a deep understanding of the underlying concepts.

How do you approach an easy conceptual energy problem?

The first step in approaching an easy conceptual energy problem is to clearly identify and understand the given information and what is being asked. Then, use your knowledge and understanding of energy concepts to analyze and solve the problem. Draw diagrams or use equations if necessary to help visualize the problem.

What are some common examples of easy conceptual energy problems?

Some common examples of easy conceptual energy problems include understanding the difference between kinetic and potential energy, calculating the work done by a force, and analyzing energy transfers in simple systems like a swinging pendulum or a rolling ball.

How can solving easy conceptual energy problems help in real-life applications?

Solving easy conceptual energy problems can help in real-life applications by improving our understanding of energy and its role in various systems. It can also help us make informed decisions about energy use and conservation in our daily lives. Additionally, understanding energy concepts is crucial for advancements in fields such as renewable energy and sustainable engineering.