Easy kinematic problem I've suffered an hour for

• Thread starter SELFMADE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematic
In summary, the problem involves finding the horizontal distance traveled by a metal ball launched at a 30 degree angle from a height of 1m with an initial speed of 7.66m/s. The suggested approach is to use the kinematics equation s= u*t - 0.5gt^2 in both the vertical and horizontal directions, with u representing the initial velocity, s representing the distance traveled, and g representing the gravitational acceleration of 9.8 ms-2. By resolving the initial velocity into its x- and y-components, the vertical component can be used to solve for the time it takes to reach the floor level, while the horizontal component remains unchanged. The horizontal displacement can then be calculated by multiplying the horizontal
SELFMADE

Homework Statement

Metal ball is launch at 30 degrees from initial height of 1m with initial speed as 7.66m/s, find horizontal distance traveled

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I have no idea.

Physics news on Phys.org
Go through any textbook or hyper Physics site and collect the information about the projectile motion. If you have any doubts, please feel free to ask us. Before that you have to show your attempt.

you have to use the kinematics equation s= u*t - 0.5gt^2 in vertical and horizontal directions. u is the initial velocity and s is the distance travelled. g is the gravi . acc = 9.8 ms-2 , when it reaches floor level it has traveled -1m from the place of launch. use above equation for vertical direction with s= -1m , and u=7.66* sin30 , you have to resolve for the vertical component of launch speed, now when you plug in this data in above equation you will get a quadratic equation in t you can find two roots to this equation , one root will be (-) so you can take the positive root, this is the time it takes to get to the floor level, now think of the horizontal displacement there is no acceleration in that directin so the resolved horizontal speed ( 7.66*cos 30) will remain unchanged so the horizontal dispacement = horizontal speed * time it takes to getto the floor !
good luck

rl.bhat said:
Go through any textbook or hyper Physics site and collect the information about the projectile motion. If you have any doubts, please feel free to ask us. Before that you have to show your attempt.
check my previous posts, I am not a leech

What's your previous attempts though?

Did you try breaking it down into the x- and y-components?

Even a sit down with a sketch to familiarise yourself with the problem helps.

:smile:

1) How do I solve an easy kinematic problem?

Solving a kinematic problem involves using equations that relate an object's position, velocity, and acceleration. First, identify what is known and unknown in the problem. Then, choose the appropriate kinematic equation and plug in the values to solve for the unknown variable.

2) What is the difference between position, velocity, and acceleration?

Position is the location of an object in space, velocity is the rate of change of position over time, and acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. In other words, velocity is the derivative of position and acceleration is the derivative of velocity.

3) How do I know which kinematic equation to use?

There are four main kinematic equations, and the one you choose depends on what is known and unknown in the problem. If you know an object's initial position, final position, and time, you can use the equation x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2. If you know an object's initial and final velocities, acceleration, and time, you can use the equation v = v0 + at. If you know an object's initial velocity, acceleration, and displacement, you can use the equation v2 = v02 + 2a∆x. Lastly, if you know an object's average velocity, displacement, and time, you can use the equation ∆x = vt.

4) Why is it important to label units in kinematic problems?

Labeling units is important in any scientific problem, but especially in kinematics because it helps you keep track of what variables are related and in what way. Additionally, making sure all units are consistent is crucial when plugging values into equations. For example, if time is given in seconds, velocity should be given in m/s and acceleration in m/s2.

5) Can I use kinematic equations for any type of motion?

Kinematic equations are specifically designed for motion with constant acceleration, meaning that an object's acceleration does not change over time. This type of motion is known as linear motion. Kinematic equations cannot be used for rotational motion or motion with varying acceleration, such as in free fall.