Solving Equality w/ 2,3,4,5,+,=: Two Ways?

• Thread starter T@P
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to write an equality using only the numbers 2, 3, 4, 5, +, and =. The participants consider various possibilities, including using multiple operators and rearranging the numbers, but ultimately conclude that it is not possible to write the equality using only two operators and all four numbers.
T@P
how can you write an equality ONLY using 2, 3, 4, 5, +, and =? note ALL must be used. I have done this problem and it is easy but i was wondering if there are two ways to do it. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
2 + 5 = 3 + 4

There are infinitely many ways of doing it, providing you don't limit the number of symbols used. I believe this, and rearrangements of this, is the simplest.

2 + 3 + 4 = 5 + 4

2 + 2 + 2 + 3 = 4 + 5

2 + 5 = 3 + 4 = 2 + 2 + 3

ad infinitum

i believe i misstated the question. the numbers 2 3 4 and 5 can be used only once as with the = and + sign. sorry about that so

3 + 4 = 2 + 5 would NOT work because you would be using the plus sign twice

Hmmm, would having two numbers next to each other count as multiplying? For instance 3x is seen as multiplying 3 times the value of x, so could the answer be written 5 + 3 = 2 4 with the statement that 2 and 4 are being multiplied?

first attempt: 4+5=3²

thats what i got too :) but do yuo know any other ways?

i don't think that there are any more...
look:
we have '+' and '=' operators, thus 3 free slots that are to be filled with at least one digit each. so 3 of 4 given didits are bound. that is we have only one free digit left. now, there are not that much possibilities in choosing the numbers for each slot AND choosing the position for the "free" digit. So we can just check all the possibilites for consistency...

hemmul said:
first attempt: 4+5=3²

can this equation not be written more appropriately as

4+5=3^2

thus we are using more than 2 operators. in fact in this case it is not possible to get an equation as with 2 operators we can use only 3 numbers...

thus the only way of using 4 digits would be if we use a 2 digit no. like 24, or 35, or something like that,, but then it is not possible to get any equation. :smile:

im assuming that writing 2^3 on paper by hand would just be the numbers 2 and 3
if i am not counting operators, just what's written :)

so anyone know another way? i believe its impossible but i am not sure...

T@P said:
im assuming that writing 2^3 on paper by hand would just be the numbers 2 and 3
if i am not counting operators, just what's written :)
In that case 2 4 should be ok also.

FAQ: Solving Equality w/ 2,3,4,5,+,=: Two Ways?

1. How do you solve an equality with 2 variables using addition?

To solve an equality with 2 variables using addition, you must isolate one variable by subtracting the same number from both sides of the equation. Then, you can solve for the remaining variable by dividing both sides by its coefficient.

2. What is the difference between solving with 3 variables and solving with 4 variables?

The main difference between solving with 3 variables and solving with 4 variables is the number of equations needed to solve the system. With 3 variables, you need at least 3 equations. With 4 variables, you need at least 4 equations.

3. Can you use multiplication to solve an equality with 5 variables?

Yes, you can use multiplication to solve an equality with 5 variables. You can isolate a variable by dividing both sides of the equation by the coefficient of that variable. However, it may be more efficient to use other methods such as substitution or elimination.

4. What is the purpose of using two different methods to solve an equality with 2 variables?

The purpose of using two different methods to solve an equality with 2 variables is to check the solution for accuracy. If the solutions obtained from both methods are the same, then it is more likely that the solution is correct.

5. How can you determine if a system of equations has no solution?

If you attempt to solve a system of equations and end up with a false statement, such as 0 = 2, then the system has no solution. This means that there is no single point that satisfies all of the equations in the system.