Edge Height of Billiard Table for No Reaction to Ball Impact

  • Thread starter Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Billiards
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
ehrenfest
Messages
2,001
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Show that the edge (cushion) of a billiard table should be at a height of 7/10 of the diameter of the billiard ball in order that no reaction occurs between the table surface and the ball when the ball strikes the cushion.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I am not entirely sure what this problem is asking me to show. Should I assume the collision is perfectly inelastic? Should I assume that the ball is initially rolling without slipping? Should I assume that the ball rolls without slipping after the collision? Do I assume that the collision is instantaneous?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
1. Collision is perfectly elastic.
2. No slipping.
3. Instantaneous.
Draw an FBD of the ball in contact with the edge and the table.
Use Fdt=dP, and Torque dt =dL to relat H to R.
 
Thanks. I completed the problem and you do not even need to assume that the collision is instantaneous (as long as the force is constant).