Height of edge of billiard table

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
SlowerPhoton
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Consider a billiard table with balls of radius r. How high should be the edge of the table to not allow undesirable pressures (and thus slips of the ball)? I.e. if there was no gravity, the billiard ball would still bounce off parallelly to the table plane.

However I do not even understand what exactly it says. Please be easy on me, the last I've taken a class on physics was on high school.

The Attempt at a Solution


My answer would be r because otherwise I can see forces that push the ball off the table (in the upward direction). But that seems like a too easy answer for a calculus class.
 
Physics news on Phys.org