Educational alternatives for a beginner (Theoretical physics)

In summary, a high school student is seeking advice on pursuing a career in physics, specifically becoming a theoretical astrophysicist or quantum physicist. They have concerns about their IQ and ability to understand advanced sciences, particularly math. They are recommended to take physics courses and start with a first-year university textbook. The term "theoretical physics" refers more to the approach to physics and encompasses all realms of physics. It is advised to focus on building a foundation before choosing a sub-field.
Phycisists
Hello phycisists,

I'm a sophomore high school student that recently finished the first grade and I have a question or two relating to physics.

I have been tested by a licensed psychologist that evaluated my cognitive functions and came to the conclusion that my overall intelligence quotient is around 87 because they fluctated a lot. Should this be a logical reason to not to become a phycisist in your honest opinion? I have the capability of understanding advanced sciences if we are excluding the mathematical part of it, especially geometry.

I want to become a theoretical astrophycisist (maybe quantum phycisist, still a high probability of occurring) but what should I study at this age (16, soon to be 17) in order to be mentally prepared of what that might appear during my course takings in the university? I can understand the concepts and every fact based information as long as I am reading it, but the mathematics might cause some tremendous problematic situations for me which are predictable and I need help.

What quantum physical/astrophysical book can you recommend me to get? I already know the mathematical topics that I need to understand before getting a book, but I just want to be prepared.

My last question: Is a theoretical phycisist working with the principles concerning both astrophysics and quantum physics or is it simply put classical physics? I would preferably work with both but I'm not sure what it's called.

Thank you for your time and have a good day.

Physics news on Phys.org
Phycisists said:
I have been tested by a licensed psychologist that evaluated my cognitive functions and came to the conclusion that my overall intelligence quotient is around 87 because they fluctated a lot. Should this be a logical reason to not to become a phycisist in your honest opinion?
IQ tests are not predictors of success in anything - except perhaps IQ tests. If you're interested in physics, pursue it. Read about it. Take classes in it. It can open up so many more fields that you're probably not even aware of. You might find that you excel in it. You might find that you struggle with it. But let the proof remain in the pudding... the only thing that will tell you if you're cut out for physics, is taking physics courses. If you find you're really struggling and learning physics is no longer enjoyable, then it probably isn't for you.
What quantum physical/astrophysical book can you recommend me to get? I already know the mathematical topics that I need to understand before getting a book, but I just want to be prepared.
It's probably best to get a hold of a first year university textbook and start working your way through it. Starting with an introductory QM text like Griffiths isn't likely to be of much use unless you're familiar with the physics of waves.
My last question: Is a theoretical phycisist working with the principles concerning both astrophysics and quantum physics or is it simply put classical physics? I would preferably work with both but I'm not sure what it's called.
"Theoretical physics" refers more to the approach to doing physics. So you'll find theoretical physicists working on astronomical problems, quantum-level problems and classical problems. None of these realms are completely exclusive. To be a good physicist you need to have a sound understanding of all of them. You really begin to choose your sub-field when you enter graduate school. Before that, it's best to focus on building a foundation.

1. What are some educational alternatives for a beginner in theoretical physics?

There are several educational alternatives for beginners in theoretical physics, including online courses, books, workshops, and mentorship programs. These options can provide a solid foundation in theoretical physics concepts and techniques.

2. Are online courses a good option for learning theoretical physics?

Yes, online courses can be a great option for learning theoretical physics. Many reputable universities and organizations offer online courses that cover a wide range of theoretical physics topics. These courses often include interactive lectures, assignments, and exams to help students grasp the concepts effectively.

3. How important is it to have a mentor for learning theoretical physics?

Having a mentor can be extremely beneficial for learning theoretical physics. A mentor can provide guidance, answer questions, and offer valuable insights and tips based on their own experiences. They can also help to motivate and inspire a beginner to continue their studies.

4. Can workshops or seminars help in understanding theoretical physics concepts?

Yes, workshops and seminars can be an excellent way to learn theoretical physics concepts. These events often feature in-depth discussions, hands-on activities, and opportunities to network with other professionals and students in the field. Attending these events can broaden your understanding of theoretical physics and expose you to new perspectives and ideas.

5. What are some recommended books for beginners in theoretical physics?

There are many great books for beginners in theoretical physics, including "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths. It is also helpful to read books on related topics such as mathematics and philosophy, as they can provide a deeper understanding of theoretical physics concepts.