EE grad school with a physics minor

In summary, the individual is asking whether having a minor in physics will be beneficial when applying to graduate schools for electrical engineering. They are considering taking extra physics courses and are wondering if the admissions committee will take this into consideration. They are also asking for recommendations on which physics courses would be most valuable for an EE subfield. It is mentioned that taking more EE classes may also be beneficial. The response suggests that a physics minor could be helpful for certain EE subfields and recommends specific physics courses that may be applicable to EE.
axmls
Does anyone here have any experience with going to grad school in Electrical Engineering with a minor in physics? It's something I've planned on doing for a while, and I'll start taking my extra physics courses to fulfill the minor next semester, but I was wondering exactly how much it'll help when I apply to EE grad schools. Is it something that the admissions committee would barely care about, or is it something that would help me stand out? I'm not doing it for better admissions chances, but that's always a plus.

Also, if it would make a difference in my applications, does it highly depend on the classes? i.e. would it make more of a difference if I took, say, solid state physics as opposed to classical mechanics? What about an introductory quantum mechanics course? I've got to pick two more courses to take, and I'm considering quantum mechanics, especially if it'll be an asset to me when I apply for grad schools.

Physics news on Phys.org
I looked at that one, but I'm really more concerned about how graduate admissions people feel about the minor as opposed to a general "should I get a minor in physics?". I've already made the decision; I'm just curious about the benefits of it.

What is your major?

leright said:
What is your major?

Electrical engineering.

axmls said:
Electrical engineering.

A physics minor wouldn't hurt, especially if you want to go into semiconductor devices or electromagnetics or some other EE subfield related to physics. You could also take more EE classes though (preferably grad classes that can be applied toward your graduate degree if possible) instead of the extra physics classes.

Not all physics classes will be applicable to EE though. However, optics, solid state physics, QM and E&M, for instance, could be valuable. Some of statistical mechanics could be useful in EE as well. Obviously, classical mechanics, SR/GR, particle physics, etc will not be of much use in EE.

What is the benefit of pursuing an EE grad school with a physics minor?

One of the main benefits of this combination is that it allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying principles of electrical engineering. Physics provides a strong foundation in fundamental concepts such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics, which are essential for advanced studies in EE.

What are some common courses that are typically included in an EE grad program with a physics minor?

Some common courses may include solid state physics, electromagnetics, quantum mechanics, and advanced mathematics. These courses provide a strong theoretical and mathematical background for future research or industry positions in EE.

Is it necessary to have a physics minor to be successful in an EE grad program?

No, it is not necessary to have a physics minor to be successful in an EE grad program. However, it can be advantageous for those who are interested in pursuing more theoretical or research-oriented positions in the field of electrical engineering.

Can I switch from a physics major to an EE grad program with a physics minor?

Yes, it is possible to switch from a physics major to an EE grad program with a physics minor. However, it may require taking some additional courses to fulfill the requirements for the minor. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to create a plan for a smooth transition.

What career opportunities are available for someone with an EE grad degree and a physics minor?

There are a variety of career opportunities available for someone with this combination of qualifications. Some options may include working in research and development, designing and implementing new technologies, or teaching at the university level. Additionally, having a strong understanding of both EE and physics can open up opportunities in industries such as renewable energy, telecommunications, and electronics.