1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

EE major that loves physics class but hates computer programming

1. Feb 24, 2013 #1
    Is an electrical engineering major like myself gonna have a hard time gettin through my bachelors if i cant stand learning a programming language? I love studying the sciences but something about cse bores the crap out of me.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2013 #2
    I wouldn't switch to physics if you hate programming. Programming and teaching are the main things that BS in physics graduates do. Maybe chem would be more up your alley?

4. Feb 24, 2013 #3

phyzguy

Science Advisor

It's hard to do any science or engineering these days without using a computer, and you need to be able to tell the computer what to do. What is it about programming that you "hate"?

5. Feb 24, 2013 #4
    Maybe hate's a strong word. I just don't enjoy learning a programming language (I usually enjoy studying most subjects, even if they don't pertain to the sciences). Of course someone could say, tough crap, learn it anyways, which i understand since it applies to so much, and i will. Im just weary of going into a field where programming will be my main job duty. So would an EE major have MORE programming duties than your average physics major?

6. Feb 24, 2013 #5
    It is true that all science today involves computers somehow.

However, you have canned software for many applications. It is entirely possible to know little programming and just use the canned software.

7. Feb 24, 2013 #6
    I guess it's possible to just use Mathematica or something.

8. Feb 24, 2013 #7
    Every ee I know does programming. Sometimes in assembly!

9. Feb 24, 2013 #8
    For more complicated things you need CAD style simulation software. The number of people that can write these simulations is vastly smaller than the number of people that are required to use the results of these simulations. So a company writes the software and sells user licenses.

10. Feb 28, 2013 #9

phyzguy

Science Advisor

This always mystifies me when people say things like this. Try to help me understand. What is it about learning to code that you dislike? Learning to code is simply learning to think logically and capture your ideas in an unambiguous way. If you like science, it is surprising that you dislike thinking logically. Is it learning the details of the syntax that bothers you? If you write is "pseudo-code" (which captures the algorithm without requiring that the syntax is perfect), does this help?

11. Feb 28, 2013 #10
    You don't have to love programming, its just a tool that make many things easy.
    And programming is everywhere, even Business majors learn it in one form or another.

Be open and avoid closed mindedness (i.e. since I hate programming I will not learn it), flexibility is a part of the solution.
    Engineering & Sciences require flexibility and agility.

If you go to a job interview and you show that you dislike programming then its a disaster.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook