Effect of Dielectric Material on Electric Field in a Parallel Plate Capacitor

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Sheneron
Messages
360
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A fully charged parallel plat capacitor remains connected to a battery while a dielectric is slid between. Does the electric field increase, decrease, or remain the same?


The Attempt at a Solution



Don't know this one or how to show it. I know that potential difference is constant and the capacitance and charge will increase, but I can't figure out the E. field.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


What happens to a dielectric material when it is placed in an external electric field?
 


Sheneron said:
I am not sure
Well, what is a dielectric?
 


Sheneron said:
a nonconducting material.
Erm... yes, but I meant on the atomic scale. In electromagnetism it is useful to think of dielectrics in a magnetic field as to be composed of dipoles. So, when you have a dipole in an electric field how does it tend to align itself with respect to the electric field?
 


Not quite that far along yet. Is there a more simple solution? We haven't talked about dipoles or magnetic fields.